*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958870-Is-there-Truly-No-More-Impossible
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#958870 added May 13, 2019 at 10:01am
Restrictions: None
Is there Truly No More "Impossible?"
30 Day Blogging Challenge
PROMPT May 13th

Discuss the “Goldilocks Rule of Motivation” as described on the website below. “Human beings love challenges, but only if they are within the optimal zone of difficulty. Tasks that are significantly below your current abilities are boring. Tasks that are significantly beyond your current abilities are discouraging. But tasks that are right on the border of success and failure are incredibly motivating to our human brains.”
https://jamesclear.com/motivation#How%20to%20Stay%20Motivated


In theory, I think I agree on the premise. It does take a bit of the romance out of that drive to achieve the impossible though. We all have heard about people overcoming insurmountable, impossible odds to survive so if I were to subscribe to this rule, then it would appear that no matter how "impossible" something seemed, that it was likely still "right on the border of success and failure", or rather there was at best, at least a 50/50 percent of success. That takes the wind out of my sails a little bit I think.

I mean, if I was being chased by a grizzly bear or something as equally aggressively terrifying, and I understood that I had a 50/50 percent chance of making it...of course I would still run, still try to escape. That doesn't seem like the "Goldilocks rule", so much as the drive of self preservation.
However, if I were to climb Everest, and knew I had less than 50% chance of achieving the summit and still did it anyway...that would akin to achieving the impossible in my book. I think some people will always be charged to pursue a task or a goal that to them, seems impossible. I'd like to believe that there are some humans who will still operate outside the limits of what they believe they can do. I am likely not one of them but I commend those that are out there. I would certainly run...but I'd never even dream of even attempting to tackle Everest.

© Copyright 2019 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958870-Is-there-Truly-No-More-Impossible