*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958888-Cliches-For-When-Were-Down
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#958888 added May 13, 2019 at 10:50pm
Restrictions: None
Cliches For When We're Down
"Don't forget to drink water and get some sun. You're basically a houseplant with more complicated emotions."

         The unknown writer of the above quote realized some basic truth. Life goes on. Even in the midst of grief and tragedy, the world keeps spinning. People still get hungry, the house still needs cleaning, the laundry still needs to be done. A simple thing like drinking water and getting some light is essential to get through the down moments of our lives.

         Farmers probably relate to this easily. No matter how bad the crop prices or the weather, they still have to feed the animals and stack the hay. They have to put a fire in the stove or the kids will be cold. They can't allow themselves to wallow in self-pity.

         For us city dwellers, we have pets to tend. A simple act like drinking a glass of water or washing our hair keeps us from sinking into despair. A shortage of light has been shown to influence depression and suicide. So if the new job goes away because the company shut down or they consolidated, or if we get bad news about Grandma, a walk in the park can be helpful.

         When we find ourselves getting down in the dumps, we just need to remember that we're houseplants and need a little simple care. It may not bring us instant joy, but it will keep us afloat.

© Copyright 2019 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958888-Cliches-For-When-Were-Down