*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958931
Rated: 13+ · Book · Teen · #2189048
Story of Torey Campbell, Part 1. Beginning through First Plot Point. Work in progress.
#958931 added October 13, 2019 at 2:36pm
Restrictions: None
Scene 15 _ Bus Ride Home
Scene 15 Rev B

Scene 15 “Bus Ride Home”

Torey Campbell – Protagonist
Addo Okoro – Torey’s best friend
         Torey and Addo stood at the Allerford Transit Terminal waiting for the next bus to Drullins. Torey held a brown bag containing the day’s success.
         “We had a long day. It's four o'clock already,” said Torey, upbeat from the adventure just completed. “I hope my Mom has made something good for supper, I’m starved,”
         “Me too,” replied Addo.
         A bus pulled into the stall, the air brakes hissed, and the doors clacked open. As passengers disembarked, the driver changed the destination sign from ‘Allerford Center’ to ‘Drullins’, then allowed passengers to board. The boys got on, paid their fare, and took a seat near the back.
         Torey was happy with the day’s results and grateful to Addo for making it happen. “Addo, you helped me a lot. I couldn't have done this without you.” With a big smile, he gave Addo a friendly punch in the shoulder.
         Addo returned the smile and replied, “Yeah, it was a good day. You got both soccer cleats and school shoes. Your folks should be pleased.”
         “I'm glad we found these cleats,” Torey said, reaching into the bag and removing one cleat. “I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get a pair that fit.”
         Torey inspected the shoe fondly. This was a new experience for him. He never had any sports gear, except for the kiddie baseball glove and bat that every kid gets about age four.
         Addo continued the conversation, “Coach Dreyer has sent several players to Play Again for cleats. A lot of guys can't afford the prices in the regular sporting goods stores.”
         “Coach seems like a nice guy. I’m gonna like him,” said Torey as he returned the soccer cleat to the bag and took out one of the school shoes. “These are pretty nice too. I never had school shoes this good before.”
         Addo stayed with talking about Coach Dreyer. “He is. But he's also tough. Don't take lazy or goofin off. He wants his players to be serious. That goes for the feeder team as well as the high school team.”
         A concerned look came over Torey’s face. “Addo, I don't know anything about soccer. Is it hard to learn – a lot of rules and stuff?”
         Addo gave a big grin and replied, “Naa. You'll pick it up fast enough. You'll make mistakes, but Coach will explain it as you go. The feeder team is meant to give guys the learning experience so that they are ready for the high school team and don't have to waste time learning the game then.”
         “That seems like a good idea,” Torey replied. “Do other sports do the same thing?”
         “I think some do, but I don't really know,” Addo replied.
         They were quiet for several blocks, Torey surveyed the other bus passengers, oblivious to disapproving looks from a few. Addo noticed but said nothing.
         Torey came alive, “I can't wait to get in a real game.”
         “First game is next week,” exclaimed Addo. “I bet coach will let you play some. He tries to make sure everyone plays. He likes to win, but it's more about participation than winning.”
         “I hope so. Am I the only new kid?”
         “You're the newest, but there are a couple other guys who have been on the team for just a week, so you're not alone.”
         “That makes me feel better,” said Torey, breathing a sigh of relief.
         “Next thing is to get a ball, so you can practice dribbling,” said Addo.
         “What?” exclaimed Torey, surprised at this new requirement.
         “Sure,” remarked Addo, a little surprised at Torey’s reaction. “You need to develop ball skills on your own. You can't waste team practice time on ball skills.”
         “Now I have to buy a ball?”
         “Yeah,” replied Addo, hiding a grin, “Every player has their own ball.”
         Torey recalled watching the pickup game where several players had a ball. Now he was concerned about how much gear he really needed to play soccer. He had never thought about it before.
         “Do you have all your own soccer gear?” Torey asked with a note of serious concern in his voice.
         “Pretty much,” Addo replied, “I have two pairs of cleats, three soccer balls, a pair of shin guards, several pairs of socks, and a couple practice outfits.”
         “How long have you been playing soccer?” Torey asked, adding surprise to his concern.
         “Since I was six.”
         Torey’s surprise continued, “Six! Where does a six-year-old play soccer?”
         “There are soccer clubs for little kids,” Addo explained, “Parents are coaches, and high school kids are referees. Maybe ten teams in a league. Their season is ten games long, usually in the fall – starting about now.”
         Torey’s face showed complete bewilderment at the existence of a league for kids and at his own ignorance. “Boy, am I behind. I didn't know any of this.”
         Addo, sensing Torey’s embarrassment, tried to ease the shock. “The parents run the league. So, if your parents aren't involved, there is no way you could know about it.”
         Torey responded with obvious sadness in his voice. “My Dad watches baseball and some football on TV but has never talked about getting me into sports. He never played sports. I never thought about it until I started watching you guys play on the Fletcher Avenue field.”
         Addo looked at Torey. Suddenly he had a glimpse of how much was missing from Torey’s life. “My Dad played soccer growing up. He played in the streets until he got into high school. When he came to this country and learned about these soccer clubs, he pushed me into the game as soon as he could.”
         Torey realized there was a big hole in his life. How many more were there?
         After a long pause, Torey spoke up, “I've got a lot of catching up to do. I'll stick close to you if that's OK?”
         “Sure, maybe you can teach me something about science,” Addo replied with a smile.
         Quiet followed. Each boy off in his own thoughts.
         Torey broke the silence. “Hey, thanks for loaning me the money.”
         “Glad I could help. Couldn’t let you go home empty-handed.”
         “I didn't know soccer shoes were so expensive,” said Torey.
         “Yeah. Everything is expensive. Doesn't your Mom or Dad give you any money?” Addo had to ask.
         “No. My mom doesn't have any money, and my Dad makes us fight for every penny.”
         Addo was perplexed. “I don't understand. How can your Mom not have any money?”
         “Pop won't give her any.”
         “Oh?” Addo sensed that he was treading into territory that was none of his business and he wanted to stop this conversation.
         But Torey continued, “Dad controls the money and won't let us spend for anything he thinks is silly.”
         Now Addo was surprised. “So, he thinks soccer is silly?”
         “I guess. Do you get money from your parents?”
         Addo replied, “Sure. They don't let me spend on stuff they think is silly either, but if they think it's worthwhile, they'll give me what it takes to do it right, and they think me playing sports is very worthwhile.”
         The ride and the conversation came to an end. “This is my stop coming up. I get off here,” said Addo.
         “Thanks for helping me today. I'll pay you back the money as soon as I can,” Torey said as he reached out to shake hands with Addo.
         “You're welcome. Glad to do it. Don't worry about the money. I know you'll pay it back,” replied Addo, shaking Torey’s hand. “Before you pay me, buy a soccer ball. I saw a couple at Play Again. I want to see you kicking that soccer ball.”
         “Me too. See you in school on Monday.”
         Addo got up, pulled the signal cord, and moved to door as the bus arrived at his stop.
         “Right. Bye,” said Addo, stepping off.
         Torey looked out the window and returned Addo’s wave.
         Torey had a few more stops to reflect on his new friend and all that has been said during this bus ride.
         I like Addo. He’s a nice kid. Why does he have to live in Drullins because he is black? His parents are sure different than mine. Playing sports and going to college never comes up at our house.
         Torey pulled the signal cord, got up, and moved to the door as the bus approached his stop.
         Through the front windshield, Torey could see activity in front of Kopischke’s Market.
         Uh Oh. That’s not good.
###

Word Count: 1,417
Readability Consensus (based on 8 readability formulas)
         Grade Level: 4
         Reading Level: easy to read.
         Reader's Age: 8-9 yrs. old (Fourth and Fifth graders)
© Copyright 2019 flyfishercacher (UN: rlhazlett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
flyfishercacher has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958931