*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/959070-My-Favorite-Piece-of-Furniture
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#959070 added May 15, 2019 at 11:47pm
Restrictions: None
My Favorite Piece of Furniture
         What is your favorite piece of furniture and why?

         My first thought was of my bed. I can snuggle up under my blankets and hide from the rest of the world, at least until my back hurts from lying down too long. (Obviously, I've had experience.) Then I thought of the recliner where I've spent many an afternoon over the years feeling sick, or evenings watching old movies. Of course, I like the dresser--any dresser would do--that holds my unmentionables out of sight. Or the desk with the computer where I spend many hours a day. Maybe it's the old hand-cranked Victrola downstairs out of sight, or the old sewing table (minus the machine) that I use as a night stand.

         No, finally I realize I like to eat, so it must be the kitchen table where I prepare food and set my plate for dinner. I then remembered the dining table. It was my mother's table. The dining room is small, so we can't add the extra leaf that is stored in the foyer closet. But that table, as is, accommodates 8. We can squeeze in extra chairs and reduce elbow room. These days with so many little ones and an old man in the family, we have a lot of spills and mishaps, so I keep it well covered.

         That table has been the center of many family gatherings, holidays and birthdays, even funeral meals. When my mother was alive, it held her cooking, which everybody loved, including her potato salad and home canned vegetables. We've entertained friends, family, immigrants, and near strangers at that table. A lot of tall tales, gossip, and laughter have taken place at that table. We've also sat around that table, shedding tears and our memories. No subject was taboo. We didn't always agree, but we forgave and bonded.

         I guess that table represents my family. It reminds me of the love, the sorrow, the heartbreak, our differences, and acceptance. We've asked the blessing over the years at that table. I believe we were blessed.

© Copyright 2019 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/959070-My-Favorite-Piece-of-Furniture