*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/959300-Cooking-on-Coals
Rated: 13+ · Book · Food/Cooking · #2190227
My Recipe Book, constantly being added to
#959300 added September 16, 2023 at 2:46pm
Restrictions: None
Cooking on Coals
The key to cooking in coals is to fire them up in advance and let them burn down to a thick bed of coals. Coals are ready when they are 80% ashen, which takes about 20-30 minutes.

Use one briquette for every 10°F of temperature needed (35 to reach 350°F).

You can use an old campers trick to gauge the temperature. Hold your hand over heat at the level food will be cooked until you feel the need to remove it (not necessarily recommended, but it works).

         2 seconds 375-400° hot
         3 seconds 350-375° medium-hot
         4 seconds 300-350° medium
         5 seconds 200-300° low


A 300-375° fire is recommended (medium to medium-hot)

To broil steaks or chops, rub the grate with soft fat to keep the meat from sticking. Place the grate 4 to 8 inches from the coals for fairly fast cooking; 12 to 14 inches for slower broiling of thick cuts. Trim off excess fat of steaks so drippings won't be constantly causing the coals to blaze up.

Marinate meats several hours beforehand in seasoned vinegar or lemon juice and salad oil.

For Dutch Oven cooking:

stews, soups, liquids — put more coals on the bottom, less coals on top.

meat, poultry, potatoes, beans, vegetables — put an even number of coals on top and bottom.

cakes, breads, biscuits — put more coals on top, less coals on the bottom.

© Copyright 2023 Eric Wharton (UN: ehwharton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Eric Wharton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/959300-Cooking-on-Coals