*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/959378-Changing-Tides
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#959378 added May 21, 2019 at 8:51am
Restrictions: None
Changing Tides
30 Day Blogging Challenge
PROMPT May 21st
Write about an opinion you’ve had that has changed over the years.


I feel as if I have been fiercely opinionated for most of my life. It was so easy in my youth to become inflamed with causes and crusades. It was easy to take up the fight for my passions and beliefs and to believe that my opinions mattered. If anything has changed more over the years it is my general understanding that most people don't care what you care about. It sounds harsh but I have realized to be largely true. I'm no longer confident in the pervasive power of words or the compelling nature of a sound opinion.

I believe social media has provided a platform for so many various opinions that it has desensitized the masses to advocacy and activism. If recent politics have shown us anything, it is that the world is divided and wounded and it takes far more than one or two well-stated opinion posts to change minds and alter hearts.

I know that my opinions are just that, mine...and that most would prefer I keep them to myself...a hazardous belief for a writer and a blogger I know. These days so many of us are fighting our own battles, dealing with our own personal causes and strife, that we are too road weary to throw our support behind something unless we feel strongly. Those that volunteer, that give their time to others, do so with an uncommon grace and charity.

As I am writing this, I realize I must be feeling soured this morning...that I can't possible have so little faith. But there it is, another hazard of blogging...you get what you get when you tackle the prompts on any given day. Today it looks like disillusion and insecurity are on my electronic ink menu unfortunately.

© Copyright 2019 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/959378-Changing-Tides