*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/962048-Happy-Independence-Day
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#962048 added July 4, 2019 at 5:42pm
Restrictions: None
Happy Independence Day
         I watched the parade in DC on TV. I loved it. It wasn't big and flashy like Macy's or the Rose parades. It was any town, every day people parading their patriotism. It was unique in that there were so many different people backgrounds. A group of Sikhs marched in their garb, Vietnamese Americans had a large group in a graceful presentation, and an African group paraded. Only in DC would so many diverse groups be found in such large numbers. It was great to see them parading their pride in America.

         I didn't see any politicians or political messages. It was a hot muggy day. Overweight people walked alongside the bands pulling wagons of water bottles. Some folks, presumably parents, weaved in and out of the heavy uniforms and big hats tending to the kids in the burning sun. It really had that hometown, homespun feel to it.

         Our usual family gathering fizzled out. My brother passed away a few months ago, and he always ran the fireworks and got everyone together. I think his daughters needed a change of pace, so they made other plans for their kids. My younger brother in another town just got back from California and is going to New York later this month, both trips for his wife's family events. His young son is in day camp this week, so they stayed home to chill. Dad and I had already purchased a lot of food, but decided we would just have al low key day to ourselves and watch fireworks on TV late tonight. But in between her other plans for the day, my widowed niece showed up with her 3 young children. They were hungry, so I had to dig hot dogs out of the freezer and proceed with the original menu really fast.

         We had hot dogs, baked beans, cantaloupe, watermelon, potato chips, and ice cream cones. We didn't fix the corn on the cob because of time. I had the makings for s'mores and sparklers, but they were for after dark. They're already gone to their next stop. I've washed all the dishes and swept the floors. So we didn't do any yard work, but we had our indoor picnic.

         I am sorry about the earthquake in California, but am glad no one is hurt so far. I hope nothing more severe happens in the next few days, which is possible with any earthquake. I think the fire in a fireworks store in North Carolina is suspicious, especially today of all days.

         I wish that more people living in America knew more about its history. Too many celebrities speak and act on feelings rather than knowledge and serious deliberation. In fact, I've often thought anyone running for public office should be required to enroll in civic, government and history classes. A college education does not guarantee a well rounded education. A few ethics classes wouldn't be a bad idea, even for career politicians.

         I hope everyone has a safe and happy independence Day. It truly is a great country. We need to recall once again the words of JFK: "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

© Copyright 2019 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/962048-Happy-Independence-Day