*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
6
7
8
12
15
17
18
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/962482-Karma-and-Jet-Airways
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2171316
As the first blog entry got exhausted. My second book
#962482 added July 12, 2019 at 3:22am
Restrictions: None
Karma and Jet Airways
My friend and erstwhile colleague Govind reminded me of this.

In 1994, I was elated at being accepted by the super-prestigious Tata Administrative Service, right after my MBA.

I was even more thrilled when I was chosen to be a part of the Tata Singapore Airlines JV to start a world class airline in India - perhaps the most exciting thing happening in Indian aviation, if not Indian industry, at that time.

Very few people know that the original inspiration for Singapore Airlines was JRD Tata’s Air India – then amongst the best airlines in the world. The bureaucrats from Singapore came to learn from him and his company on how to build a world-class airline out of Singapore.

JRD, with his magnificent generosity, shared his mantras of service, humility and operational excellence with them, and Singapore Airlines (SIA) was born. Soon, it became the best airline in the world, bar none, and has kept its crown almost every year since then.

In 1994, they came back to build an airline with Tata – in a sense, repaying the debt they owed to its legendary founder. The largest and most respected industrial house in India was going to join hands with the best airline in the world, and create Tata Singapore Airlines.

No wonder everyone, including me, was giddy with excitement. I still remember my first project job, 25 years back, as if it was almost yesterday. I flew around the country 19 cities in 14 days with two hugely experienced SIA pilots. Once they overcame their initial astonishment and disappointment that I was not a pilot, in fact could not even fly a kite, they adopted me as their own as we went around the country surveying airports, airfields and technical gear.

Their flying experience, the knowledge they had about aircraft, their assessments of pilots and Dopplers and other radars was a learning experience. Their attention to detail was terrifying – I spent days find out costs and specs of wheelchairs which we would need to buy for differently-abled passengers. Along with the entire nation, I was convinced that we were building something special and expectantly looking forward to it.

All of us, except two men – the then Aviation Minister, and a certain Mr. Naresh Goyal. It was an open secret that the founder of fledgling Jet Airways saw Tata-SIA to be a mortal threat to his company, and that he did everything possible to stop it. Rules were changes, permissions were withdrawn, words taken back, as the Aviation Minister, his puppet, brazened it out.

The Tatas could not stoop to retaliate to this form of competition, they did not and would not ‘manage the environment. SIA went back to Singapore to continue building the best airline in the world, and Jet Airways spread its wings and became the leading airline in the country. Many of us, I remember, refused to fly Jet for years afterwards.

Now, 25 years later, the shoe is on the other foot – in fact, the first foot has ceased to exist. As Jet goes through its jet throes, and Mr. Goyal licks his wounds in obscurity, their single biggest hope has been the Tata Group. And, as it withdraws from its prized slots and premium routes, one of the airlines working overtime to fill those is Vistara – a JV between the Tata Group and SIA. Tata Singapore Airlines Version 2.0.

Time is not linear, explained our ancient sages, it is a circle. The core concept of Karma is that what goes around comes around. The axe forgets, but the tree remembers.

© Copyright 2019 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/962482-Karma-and-Jet-Airways