*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/962681-Marine-Museum-in-Quantico
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#962681 added July 15, 2019 at 8:08pm
Restrictions: None
Marine Museum in Quantico
         If you want a great day trip with the family, go to the Marine Museum in Quantico. It's not on the base, and it is not designed or supported y the government or armed services. It is all done by volunteers and donors. It's a massive structure, an astonishing engineering and architectural feat. Inside the museum, which I expected to be small and somewhat boring, there are full-size tanks and helicopters inside.

         The first thing you learn is that the Marines was formed by the continental congress, before the USA even existed. The time line they have posted the length of the hallway tells not only the history of the Marines, but of the country. There are unique galleries for each major war or police action. The one for Korea includes a freezing room to give you an idea of the harsh winters there. The galleries for Iraq and Afghanistan are not complete yet, so they are sealed.

         Be sure to keep looking up as you go along. There are things overhead as well as around you. In one spot, they even have trenches and dugouts for reporters. There are authentic vehicles for each time period and mannequins in appropriate uniforms, rescuing fallen comrades. One tank is left open so you can walk into it, and feel the vibrations underfoot.

         You go upstairs to find the art galleries and two grills. Food and drink is not allowed outside the dining area, and you may not bring in your own to protect the displays. Upstairs you can also look through windows down into the galleries you were just viewing. There are banquet rooms available for rent for bridal receptions, business dinners, and so forth. The grounds outside are beautiful, and there's ample parking. An American flag made of dog tags of deceased Marines stands at the head of the walkway in.

         Admission is free. What a bargain! You do have to go through metal detectors when you enter. There is a children's gallery, a gift shop, and a movie theater. The movie is not free and lasts less than an hour. It's a good family trip for the family or for yourself if you like history.


         *CountryUS* *CountryUS*


© Copyright 2019 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/962681-Marine-Museum-in-Quantico