*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/963955-Run-Boy-Run
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#963955 added August 9, 2019 at 2:06am
Restrictions: None
Run Boy Run

Written for the "Note: 48-HOUR CHALLENGE : Media Prompt Deadl..."




Lyrics


It's funny how sometimes a song can just completely capture everything that you're feeling in a particular moment. I'd never heard of this song (or this band) before this music challenge, and now it's something I've been listening to on repeat ever since I first gave it a listen. Maybe it's because I have a lot going on in my life right now (new parent, job uncertainty, struggling to get back to my writing and back to being active here on WDC), but whatever the reason, I've been thinking a lot about when people stick to their guns on something, and when they choose to run away or let it go.

In a way, I suppose that's a lifelong pursuit, trying to figure out when we need to keep going and when we need to walk away.

Ultimately, I think it's tempting for all of us to want to run, initially. That primal fight-or-flight reflex often encourages us to disengage and keep a safe distance rather than stick to it, right in the middle of the fray when things are toughest. But it's often that fray that, once we get through it, provides the experience and sense of satisfaction that we come to appreciate so much after the fact.

Still, it's important to know when to cut your losses, or to know when it's not a fight you can win. I like to imagine this song is about those moments, when you realize that there's plenty of time to learn that particular lesson or fight that particular fight, and that it's okay to remain where you are for the time being. I feel like that's a pretty universal experience we go through when we grow up and transition from childhood to adulthood; we desperately want to be older and get to the next phase of our life, but in retrospect we always seem to have a sense of nostalgia and wish that we had taken more time to be in the moment and enjoy our childhood just a little longer.

I don't know if that's anything close to what the band had in mind when they wrote this song (and for once I'm not going to do any research about the song or the artist for one of these challenges), or if I'm reading too much into it, but this was definitely one of those songs that made me think as I listened to it over and over again.



© Copyright 2019 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/963955-Run-Boy-Run