*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/964297
Rated: 13+ · Book · Philosophy · #2020664
Repository for my Zanier Ideas... on writing, and life.
#964297 added August 16, 2019 at 4:08pm
Restrictions: None
C-Store Blues
Based on a true story. Names changed.


The door slid open, letting night into the convenience store. The bell chimed.


Annoyed, Seamus set the tub of water in front of the straws and lids and looked about.


Empty store there, nothing more.


Seamus took a long breath to calm himself, though his blood surged. Surely he missed the customer on his first scan. He looked carefully over the racks of groceries, checked the cooler open doors, listened for the rustle of product in the hands of a bent-over shopper.


The store looked, and sounded, just the same as before the bell rang. No honest customers shared his space, but someone lurked behind the shelves. What kind of weapons did they have, and how would they respond if-when-he disturbed them? His hand went to the knife in his back pocket.


Just then Trixie jumped out. 'Gotcha!'


The fear rattled through his body. Better and worse than he thought. Trixie and her guypal would not rough him up, but... Seamus scowled.


She pouted. "Don't, Seamus. I'ma pay for this. I got money." She grabbed two cans, Four Loko.


"Damnit, Trick. I was going for my knife."


Trixie whined, "But why?"


The woman spent time on the street; she knew, better than he did. Seamus stared at her.


She gestured at the register with the Four Lokos.


Just when he reached up to log in, she walked out.


He sighed, long and low, picked up the phone. "Can't cover anymore," he said, to no one there, and dialed.






© Copyright 2019 Joto-Kai (UN: jotokai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joto-Kai has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/964297