*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/964944-Mirror-Mirror
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#964944 added August 28, 2019 at 12:11am
Restrictions: None
Mirror, Mirror
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/scientists-are-searching-mirror-universe-it...

Scientists are searching for a mirror universe. It could be sitting right in front of you.
If the "mirrorverse" exists, upcoming experiments involving subatomic particles could reveal it.


Do what now?

At Oak Ridge National Laboratory in eastern Tennessee, physicist Leah Broussard is trying to open a portal to a parallel universe.

Can it be one with sane politicians? Or... no, that's too farfetched.

“It’s pretty wacky,” Broussard says of her mind-bending exploration.



The mirror world, assuming it exists, would have its own laws of mirror-physics and its own mirror-history. You wouldn’t find a mirror version of yourself there (and no evil Spock with a goatee — sorry "Star Trek" fans).

Awwww

Connect the dots, and you reach a far-out conclusion: The neutron experiments might look screwy because physicists unwittingly opened a portal to the mirror world.

Unwittingly opening portals to mirror worlds never turns out well. I have decades of science fiction to back me up on this.

Oak Ridge has an 85-megawatt nuclear reactor that can shoot out billions of neutrons on demand...

Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!  

“It all comes down to: Are we able to shine neutrons through a wall?” she says. “We should see no neutrons” according to conventional physics theory. If some of them show up anyway, that would suggest that conventional physics is wrong, and the mirror world is real.

Just don't come crying to me when you release the Elder Gods into our world with all their unspeakable eldritch horror.

© Copyright 2019 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/964944-Mirror-Mirror