*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/965244-Why-I-review
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1891402
Miscellany
#965244 added August 30, 2019 at 2:06am
Restrictions: None
Why I review.
Why I review

Frankly speaking, this question never occurred to me. Perhaps I thought reviewing was quite like knitting, cooking, reading or any of the scores of hobbies or interests people have.

It’s a good question really, for it gives me chance in a small but a definite way to know what makes me, me.

The first thing I do when I come across a fine piece of writing is to share it with others through reviewing. In the process, I could tell them what made it special. Take for example, a passage like the one cited below.

““Some people think they’ll find that home is a certain place or with a particular person,” Nanny would say quietly, “But it’s often right in front of you.  If you’re smart, you’ll build up that home using the relationships of those you love and those few friends who never let you down.””

This one made me think about how much of life we miss in our momentary hasty decisions. It caused me to pause and take a look at what is “right in front” of me, understand the rich “relationships” which I might be taking for granted. My awareness of life and people becomes deeper with such writing.

It is the wisdom, and the style of saying something valuable I come across in passages such as the one above that inspire me into reviewing stories, poems or articles.

The second most important aspect that attracts me into reviewing is, reading. The pleasure of reading grew with me ever since I first started reading books other than those in my curriculum, thanks to my dad who initiated me into this everlasting adventure. Pretty soon I realized that reading different books gives me new perspectives on people, God and the universe. It enables me in turn to review others’ experience understanding it from their angle.

Take a look at this piece of poem that merges several images to bring a slice of life to my mind’s eye.

“My wind-chariot hits a cloud
and we burst into rain
pouring into the ocean.”

While reviewing this poem, my perspective on life transformed into someone else’s and I could see nature merging with life from the poet’s vantage point.

Chance meeting with Writing.Com brought me not only plenty to read, but also space to review. Much to my delight, I could put my thoughts into the space provided at the bottom of the static item and get an immediate preview of my review. This helps me to edit and make it respectable and encouraging and in a few cases helpful too. As a result, my interest in and commitment to reviewing has gone up by many notches.

One exclusive benefit of reviewing at this unique website is to be able to read different genres and writing styles. This is an enriching experience, for, it influences my own writing in a positive way. Reading and reviewing writing of various genres have to my pleasant surprise, inspired me to write in genres, which I never thought I would.

Reviewing is truly rewarding. At the Wdc, I have the golden opportunity to come into contact with countless number of mature, seasoned and budding authors, and learn from them vis-à-vis what made them write a particular story, poem or an article. I learn a lot about different views, attitudes and experiences. They also tell me how helpful or encouraging a certain review of mine has been, thus giving me a sense of fulfillment.

Reviewing grooms my style of writing. I learn to use language in an effective way. I learn to correct my grammar, syntax and style. Most of all I see there is so much to life other than my own limited experience. It makes me a better person by widening my world-view, and bringing up my level of self confidence.


Word Count: 650


Listed under Editor's picks in the Newsletter, Noticing Newbies Jul 10, 2013.
© Copyright 2019 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/965244-Why-I-review