*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/965588-Feature-not-a-bug
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#965588 added September 5, 2019 at 5:39am
Restrictions: None
Feature (not a bug)
PROMPT September 5th

I spent some time today reading "Writing.Com 101 (a normal Wednesday activity), and found a few entries describing some of the lesser-known features on WDC including the "Sliders Tab, "Macros, the "Ideanary, and "Portfolio Highlighting. In addition to these tools and features, there are 22 item types available for members to create, but only a handful make up the majority of content on the site. Take a look at the full list here: "Item Types and Their Uses

Is there any item type available to you that you've never created? Any that you've never read? Any tool or feature on WDC that you haven't tried? Why not? What are the benefits of having these extra features available on a site dedicated to writing? (I have a feeling our restless muses are to blame, but I'd love to hear your thoughts! *Wink* )


The main pieces of software I used when I had a desk job were MS Excel and Word, and AutoCAD. I mention this here because, in a sense, Writing.Com can be considered software as well, and these four programs have something in common: they contain features that are used often, features that are used sometimes, and other features that are used only rarely.

When I first started using Excel, back when it was written for clay tablets and a cuneiform keyboard, I made it a point to learn everything I could about it - all the menu items, all the operators, all the built-in functions. There are many that I still use; plus, I've learned the programming language built into it, VBA. I'm not saying I'm any good at VBA but, if you don't mind a bit of braggadocio (where can I do that if not in my own blog), I'm damn good with Excel. Just ask BrandiwynšŸŽ¶ .

And yet, when I need some feature that I've hardly ever used, I need to consult the documentation. I have a vague memory of a programming rule covering this sort of thing, something like: 10% of the features are used 90% of the time, and vice-versa. Can't be arsed to look it up, but I think that captures the idea of it.

Point is, though, that long ago, I got the urge out of my system to exhaust a program's capabilities. My personal algorithm goes something like:

1) Identify the problem that needs solving
2) Assume that the program I'm using has a built-in solution to that problem
3) Find said solution.
3a) IF assumption turns out to be correct, THEN implement solution.
3b) ELSE defenestrate computing device.

Now here, I consider it part of my job description as Moderator to know what site features are available so I can help other members do step 3 above (can't help 'em with 3b, though). So I was aware of all the stuff in the prompt. But that doesn't mean I use all of it, just as I haven't written in every listed genre.

Still, someone else might make regular use of features I don't. The "Interactive" item type comes to mind. I find myself slogging through them occasionally as a moderator (you don't want to know, trust me), but if memory serves, I've never actually created an item of that type. Just never had good reason to. For some people, that's the only reason they come here, and that's fine, too (though I do know some good shrinks, if one of you is reading this).

I guess what I'm getting at is that while it's good to know what's available, I don't feel like I have to use every feature SM provides. So I don't.

© Copyright 2019 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/965588-Feature-not-a-bug