*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/965610
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #2199873
This is a legacy first edition self-published Nov 2011. I was only 15 years old back then.
#965610 added September 5, 2019 at 5:52am
Restrictions: None
Funeral of a Highborne (XII)
Funeral of a Highborne (XII)

It has been three dawns since the body of Teralen was found in its condition of death. Three dawns of her family mourning. Little Korvi cried and whimpered even when she had no tears left from all of her sobbing. She may have only met her big sister Teralen once, learning of the two being sisters, but was still devastated at the loss of her older sister. Korvi was so eager and excited to see her sister again after so long from when she last saw her, and now she would never be able to see her again... Just that mere thought, and having seen the body how it was, has really impacted on her little heart a direct blow. Fierya herself has been mourning, while comforting her little one, while Furyan has grown eerie quiet,
going around the meadow asking questions, gaining no answers except for how 'sad' Tranras was over the loss of one he loved, to which Furyan had a dislike for him but left Tranras be for the time. For three dawns, a shadowy quiet grew over the meadow. Even in the event of a common Infernal dying is serious, but a Highborne, the main only one line of noble blood, and being murdered too, it was unimaginable, and thus all the Infernals are quiet and shocked with such news. All Infernals are to attend to the ceremony to rest her to peace. Naturally if any other Infernal died, their ceremony can happen the same dawn, while only family and friends attended, but on this rarest of events, it has taken three dawns to prepare.

"The gathering is soon my beloved. Are you and Korvia ready?"

Asked Furyan to Fierya, speaking in a low, stable tone while glancing at Korvi who was still sniffling in the far end of the chamber, having been told the best to her understanding of what is to happen at the ceremony.

"Yes we are. Teralen's body is there and prepared properly?"

Fierya questioned while looking to Furyan, noticeable sadness in her eyes.

"It is, and the gathering will begin shortly..."

Furyan sighs, adding,

"She will be well honored and remembered, and live happy and well in her new life and in our hearts forever."

Fierya sniffled though she smiled softly.

"Always and forever, my dearest child she will be."

It was nearing the time that they soon had to depart, though a moment later; Fierya heard another dragon approaching their cavern home entrance. Fierya was in a bad mood as it was already, she felt like she was going to snap at anyone... until she saw that it was Sarenala with Shaol close to her side standing at the entrance of the chamber. Sarenala walked in as she spoke out with deep concern;

"Fierya my dear sweet darling! I'm so sorry to hear what happened! I thought coming down to give you company and support would help you feel a little better!"

Fierya looked down and sniffled.

"Yes it does help me a lot, you of anyone is more than welcomed to come by, my sweet Sarenala."

Without further more said, Sarenala walks up to Fierya and wraps a wing around her in a comforting hug, tenderly speaking,

"There there my dear, we will manage through this, I even brought Shaol to spend time with Korvi so the two young could have each other’s company after the dawns events!"

Sarenala says with a smile, giving Fierya's snout and cheek a supporting and affectionate lick. Furyan snorted slightly and snickers, mumbling under his breath,

"...Female lovers..."

To which both heard, and growled lightly as a warning, making him reply fast,

"Not that there’s anything wrong with it!!"

Sarenala snickered. They wouldn't ever threat or hurt Furyan with pain, but silly humiliation, as the last time he teased them they both sat on him, pinning him down firmly and annoyed him by humming songs together, so he knew much better then to tease them again! Korvi came running into the main chamber, hearing mum talking, seeing Sarenala and...

"Shaaol!!"

Korvi suddenly yelled with a slightly happier tone, running up to Shaol and Sarenala feeling a little better to see her best friend! Shaol perks his head up looking up to see Korvi, a silly and happy smile comes upon Shaol's muzzle, stepping forward to nuzzle Korvi,

"Koorvi! I has missed you fwiend!"

Shaol grinned watching Korvi, looking into Korvi’s azure eyes.

"I missed yous toos Shaaol!"

Korvi replied with a giggle, nuzzling against Shaol's cheek. Fierya and Sarenala glanced to both Korvi and Shaol.
Stepping up near both, Fierya speaks to them both in a gentle tone.

"Come little ones, we must go now, it is time to attend the ceremony now..."

Both yearlings looked sad in their expressions now, realizing that they can't play yet and have to attend one of the most important events that have ever happened. Staying close together, Fierya was side to side with Sarenala, as Korvi and Shaol were beside each other, alongside their parents. They start trending upon outside into the open meadow, Furyan following close behind them. Korvi felt the soft damp grass under her paws as they walked, holding her head low, still unable to believe that her big sister was really gone... Fighting back tears, Korvi sniffles, Shaol close by her side in close support, saying quietly in his small tone,

"I sorry Korvi lose sister... I am here for best fwiend!"

***



It has taken a short while to reach the intended area, but they have arrived to where they had to go. A large flat ground mountain against leaned beside the Sky-mountain was where their ancient ancestral volcano is. In the middle of the flat stable large ledge of the volcano, it was like a huge platform high up in the formed mountain like volcano that they use. This area was furthest south, at the edge of the Infernals land along the sky mountains. To their beliefs that when an infernal kin dies, so they may rest peacefully and return their bodies to the nature of the world, the deceased get gently dropped within, resting them honorably. Korvi looked around the area, gathered upon the mountain, ledges, ground and even hovering above, seemed to be every Infernal to honor the loss of a Highborne, and a great friend to many. Korvi and Shaol were awed by how many of their species came; Korvi was staying tight close to Shaol, both close to Fierya and Sarenala.

"Here we are little ones... It is time to say our goodbyes to Teralen."

Rested carefully on the smooth rock ground near the volcano, was Teralen's body. The once bright ruby red scales of her hide was now paled, looking scarlet dulled red. The slash in Teralen's belly was still there but washed and cleaned.
No blood stains remained where she once has lain in her own blood when she was left in the forest. Teralen looked almost at peace, appearing as if in a deep sleep, though signs clearly showed life has left her body. All who gathered were sad in their expressions, showing respect to the fallen Teralen. Fierya was glancing across the expressions of all the others, silently hoping she would find one of them who showed guilt or no care...hope to find the one who killed her daughter. As all of the Infernals settled, Fierya, along with Sarenala by her side, stood in the center near Teralen's body. Korvi and Shaol sat side by side a short distance away, as all attention was focused on Fierya. Sarenala smiled, giving Fierya a supporting nod.

"This dawn here we are to depart my daughter, Teralen, who was murdered and killed, by one of our own kin! Slain in the forest North West of our meadow, she was slashed and left with no support and to die slowly!"

Fierya paused a moment, taking a deep breath, growling to herself. Some of the Infernals had a surprised, shocked and disgusted expression now. They heard Teralen has died but how, and by of their own killing her? They did not know that, and many were surprised. Fierya continued her speech in a low but firm tone.

"It pains me deeply, to have lost my first born beloved daughter. And because one of our own has killed her no less! My youngest daughter has been devastated from the loss of her sister!"

A few of the Infernals look to Korvi next to Sarenala with pity, Korvi having lowered her head, watching mum, her body wasn’t seen by any of the other Infernal kin because she cuddled close to Shaol, her symbols hidden. Korvi looked to her mum who now has tears silently drip down her snout, as she resumes,

"For whoever has done this, has caused us all pain, and unending shame and dishonor on their self! One who will be found in guilt for such treason...will be publicly executed in a pained death for this...."

Small gasps were heard, never before thinking that such a decision of public execution would be made. Fierya figured to make her announcement, small as it was, to the whole species of the Infernals, so her message was clear and heard by all. Sighing softly, she finishes off her small speech with saying in a light tone,

"Let us remember and honor our beloved Teralen, She was my first born child, and kind to all. As from this dawn fourth, the Forest in where she has been killed, shall be known as Teralen's Forest, in memory and honor for her..."

Fierya looked at the gathering with a strong gaze, as if daring anyone to challenge her statement. None came. With a sigh, she faces Korvi, giving a faint smile.

"My Korvia, it is time to say goodbye to your sister. Come say goodbye."

Korvi squeaked nervously, none of the Infernals before has properly seen Korvi's body as she was too close to Shaol, both by Sarenala. As Korvi hesitantly stands up, walking to her mother, shocked and surprised gasps and even slight growls came from the Infernals as her bright azure blue symbols upon her body was seen clearly, from the neck, to limbs and tail, they were seen with her bright ruby red hide, as well as her eyes were now noticed due to the tint and faint glow they had.

"What is she?!"

One of the Infernals from the gathering spoke out with a disruptive tone.

"She's no Infernal!"

"Cursed and rogue!"

Some now started to speak demoralizing about Korvi, causing her to lower her head, sniffling and whimpers, feeling sad tears starting to form on her eyes. Fierya hearing this and how tension was rising, then noticing that Korvia was sad, Fierya snapped, having had enough, standing her ground, then lets out a deep aggressive roar, long and nearly ear-piercing, causing the gathering to go very quiet.

"ENOUGH! She is MY daughter! She is a Highborne AND Infernal! She is no demon, curse or freak; she has been blessed during hatching by the creator himself! If ANY of you dare act treason to her, you will be exiled and dishonored, for she is unique and special as well as normal as any Infernal yearling would be!"

Fierya then sighs, calming down as the Infernals stayed silent, though those who made outbursts showed they were sorry in their eyes and expression. Korvi sniffled once more, hearing it was calm again, she ran to her mother,
whom leaned down to nuzzle Korvi.

"Go say goodbye to your sister my little one."

Spoke Fierya gently to Korvi, watching as Korvi slowly approached her sister who laid still where she was placed, feeling a pang of hurt in her little beating heart, running to Teralen's body with tears, pouncing and hugging Teralen's neck tight as much as her small forepaws allowed, saying in a squeaked and choked sob,

"Goodbyes...sister...love yous forevers...."

Before Korvi let go of Teralen, she gave Teralen's cheek a soft loved and sisterly lick, sniffling with tears streaming, getting off with a small jump, running back to sit close to Shaol once more, Sarenala curling around both Shaol and Korvi, comforting both younglings. With Korvi having said her goodbye and now was settled, Fierya steps up to her deceased child.
Furyan stood up from where he sat and moved to stand beside his beloved. Fierya's own tears silently drip down her snout as she uses her tender warm paw to gently stroke Teralen's cheek.

"We will always love you my beautiful child...prayed be you rest in peace and live happy with our lord, no more pain... you're body of flesh shall be returned to the earth, as so you may rest in eternal peace..."

Some of Fierya's tears dripped upon Teralen. As Fierya finished her final words to her fallen child, looks away with a single tear more dropping down, nodding to Furyan that it was time. With delicate care, Fierya picks up Teralen by the front; the head limped against Fierya's forelimb, while Furyan picked up Teralen from behind. Every Infernal paid close attention, Korvi was sniffling and whimpering again as she snuggled close to Shaol, Sarenala now starting to hum lightly to comfort the young. Fierya and Furyan using both their front forepaws carried Teralen carefully, using their hind legs to keep support and balance while hunched slightly, working slow and careful to the opening of the volcano. Fierya looked to Teralen's face longingly, as if she didn't want to have to finish this ceremony, wishing and wanting her child to still be here... holding Teralen's body over the ledge with tears.

"Rest in dearest peace my beloved child… May you be honored by the great Azuren himself!!"

Fierya says out loud as both Furyan and Fierya let go at the same time, releasing the body of their beloved child to fall a free fall into the depths. Even though Teralen was a young adult, she would always... be Fierya's beautiful first little child...Teralen's body hit the magma with a splash. Her body slowly sunk under the hot thick liquid, the leathery hide of Teralen's body seemed to shine with full life and happiness for a moment unmoving as she sinks down under, seeming for that moment...looking truly at peace since death, finding her light in the darkness of a void she was in, being properly released to eternity of love and peace in the heavens. Moments later, Teralen was no longer in sight down in the magma, as Fierya lets out a long and very loud lament of a mournful roar. The rest of the Infernals added their own tone and voice to the roar mourning lament, in prayer and acceptance of hope that Teralen lives in the glorious light, in the free spirit away from the pain and harm, to find the love of new life after the darkness; as Fierya closes her maw, ending the lament, as then all goes silent.

***
Sarenala, along with Korvi and Shaol, rejoins Fierya, who was watching the other Infernals depart to their caverns solemnly. Sarenala gives Fierya's cheek supporting nuzzles and then a light nudge, speaking comfortingly.

"All will be well darling, granted to be allowed, Shaol and I could spend a few dawns at you're cavern if you so wish?"

Fierya took a moment to respond, before nodded in agreement, still watching all the Infernals depart, as if counting, before replying short.

"Yes, I would love that."

As the last of the gathered Infernals left, she frowned, and then eyes opened wide in surprise. One did not show for the gathering as all was ordered mandatory to show, only one, Tranras. And to Fierya's mind, HE out of anyone should have been here for his 'lovers' departure... High suspicion grew in Fierya... as Sarenala and Fierya along with the two yearlings started to walk back to their cavern, thoughts of actions and to investigate racing through Fierya's mind.
© Copyright 2019 Shaolth (UN: shaolth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shaolth has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/965610