*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/967192-48-Hour-Challenge-Entry
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1921220
My thoughts released; a mind set free
#967192 added October 3, 2019 at 6:30pm
Restrictions: None
48 Hour Challenge Entry
Written for the Community Challenge, 48-Hour Challenge: Media Prompt; the song/video They by Jem

I listened to this while having my morning coffee and have been thinking about what I should write throughout the day. I couldn’t find any inspiration for a story or poem so decided to just share my thoughts in my blog.

The music was good, I enjoyed the rhythm, and the video was interesting; it reminded me of the movie Alien for some reason. The lyrics were a bit difficult to hear, mostly some background noises that made listening difficult, so I played it a second time when it was quieter.  My first thoughts were to much repetition on being sorry. For those who really enjoy this song, I’m sorry. I know, bad pun.

With more thought and time to go through the lyrics, I googled them, I found myself unsure what the song is even about. I understand the question of who made up all the rules, but found myself wondering, “What rules?”

I mean, life is filled with rules from the time we are born to the time we depart this life, and I’m sure, no matter what your beliefs are for an afterlife, there will be rules. Most of life’s rules are socially determined or established for a purpose, which we can easily understand, and I think, most of us agree with. Of course, there are rules that some don’t agree with, and there are different rules in different cultures that may baffle us.

Even so, in todays technological world, it’s very easy for most of us to research rules to better understand them, just as it’s become more and more acceptable to protest the ones we disagree with.

Going back to the video, I didn’t really understand, as I mentioned, what rules? The video shows someone floating and stripping in space and ends with the understanding that it was all a dream. I really didn’t find any connection to the lyrics; the rules, who made them, and why they are followed blindly without thinking them through and some stripping while floating in space.

It’s likely just me and I’m sure many of you could decipher this song/video for me. I can understand some of what’s stated, knowing that there are those who just accept and follow without question. Yes, I see some of the things people do and wonder myself why do they live as they do, why do they believe without question, and how can they follow someone or school of thought without thinking for themselves.

So, yes, I do have some understanding of the lyrics in general, but I still don’t know why the singer is so sorry.  I just could not find any relationship between the lyrics and the video. As a whole, the video was entertaining, even if I couldn’t fit it to the song and the rhythm was good, but I must repeat, there is too much repetition within the song for my liking; it’s just too redundant, sorry.

© Copyright 2019 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/967192-48-Hour-Challenge-Entry