*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/967332-Week-of-September-30-2019
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#967332 added October 6, 2019 at 11:38am
Restrictions: None
Week of September 30, 2019
Locale: Denver, Colorado


         This week finds me in Denver, Colorado for the third of four classes with the Federal Protective Service.  It's the same class I've delivered in Suitland, Md and Battle Creek, Michigan.  This was a fun class to deliver because of the interaction with the students.

         Well, this trip started out with a bang.  NOT!  Yes it did...  What I mean is, I flew to Denver on Tuesday morning, and would be flying home on Friday.  Except that when I checked in for the first flight, I realized that my flight home was Thursday, not Friday!  Oooops!  So, after a call to American Express, and paying the flight change fee, and a fare increase fee (scheduling the flight home with less than 7-14 days notice), I was scheduled to fly home Friday.  The hard part was calling my manager and telling him I'd spent $500 (OUCH!) that I shouldn't have had to spend.  A drop in the bucket for my employer, but we are supposed to limit our spending of course.  This was a first for me, but man, did I ever beat myself mentally for such a stupid mistake.


         In teaching a technical subject, the one area most every technician wants to learn is hands-on activities.  You can't learn to maintain a radio system worth several hundred million dollars without knowing how to troubleshoot, maintain, calibrate/program everything in it.  This class had a bit of hands-on activities, but we were limited by equipment accessibility.  The story on why access was so limited is too long to relate here, but just know that the 'central location' where the entire system is monitored is in Orlando, and there we were in Denver.  We did have a bit of gear on hand, but it was not near enough.  Things went well, but it could have been much better if you ask me.

         Often in our classes, we get asked questions by a student that has nothing to do with the class.  Basically, they wonder why 'we' (or they really, since it is their system) didn't do it this way or that way.  One question I was asked this week, was "Why don't you use layer 3 switches in the system, instead of a layer 2 switch, and a layer 3 router?"  This is a system design question really, and I told him that.  Others in the class know him well, and asked him not to ask such questions, but I said go ahead, because I love a good discussion session.  *Smile*  We discussed many things during class, many of them being system type questions, others just being 'old fashioned' RF knowledge questions.  Just a three day class, and all these questions and answers!  In the end, the one who asked the layer 3 switch question told me he'd learned not to challenge my knowledge of this system.  He made me smile, but I told him not to stop, to always challenge me (us), because we probably don't know everything, and what he knows, and can bring to the table will help everyone learn more.  I'm not always right, nor do I want or need to be.  What I want most of all, is for the correct knowledge to be passed on.


Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Smokin Fins          http://finsconcepts.com/smokin-fins-menu/    Their Lobster Stuffed Fried Avocado is something you really have to try....  I'd been here while in Loveland Colorado last year, and the Stuffed Avocado brought me back again.  I wasn't disappointed.


In Closing

         I will spend the weekend in the weekend at home before flying to my next destination on Tuesday.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!



Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2019 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/967332-Week-of-September-30-2019