*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/969731-Now-Where-Was-I
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#969731 added November 15, 2019 at 12:20am
Restrictions: None
Now, Where Was I?
PROMPT November 15th

In your entry today, write about focus. Use the following questions to guide you. At what time of day are you the most focused? When you need to focus on a task, how do you prevent distractions? How do you manipulate your environment to keep yourself focused? How else do you practice focus in your life? Any tools or techniques you can share?


Let's see if I can focus long enough to respond to this...

Nope. Just checked my phone. Had texts. Responded to them. Now, where was I?

Oh, yeah. Focus.

You may be wondering why I didn't know I had texts. That's because I have to keep the sound off on my phone during the week. I get up to 20-30 calls a day (no I am not exaggerating) from "health insurance" robocall scams, and if I don't keep the sound off, that's all I hear, all day: my phone going off. It's not so bad around midnight when I'm writing these entries, but if I turn the sound on in the evening and forget to turn it back off, then the fucking things wake me up in the morning and I get grumpy for the entire day.

No, I can't block them. I've tried, but they spoof numbers and it's worse than playing whack-a-mole.

What's more, when I'm trying to actually DO something on the damn phone, like compose an email or text someone or simply take notes, I'm often interrupted when the incoming call screen silently pops up. And then I have to wait. I have to wait, because if I hit the Reject button, I think they'll know that someone actually interacted with the other end and they'll call even more. This makes me grumpy, too, because only I am allowed to interrupt myself, which I do a lot, because I can't focus.

So why don't I change my number? No. I've had this number for 20 years and I'm not going to change it. I shouldn't have to. That shit simply needs to stop. Besides, they'd just start calling the new number.

Lately the calls have been in Spanish and Chinese (presumably Mandarin, but I can't distinguish between dialects of Chinese). I guess they figure that since I'm not responding to English, they'd try the other two major world languages.

I'm waiting for them to try French. Then at least I can use my newfound skills. Now if they want to impress me, they'd call in Klingon. Not that I've spent any time studying Klingon, but the language is unmistakable. If a Klingon offered to sell me health insurance, well, that'd be an offer I'd have difficulty refusing. Fortunately, I'm all out of latinum.

Hey, I wonder why with all the proliferation of various cryptocurrencies out there, how come none of them are called latinum (after the fictional medium of commerce of the Star Trek universe, if you're unfamiliar)?

Oh. I should have known.  

But I'm meant to be talking about focus, aren't I?

Anyway, I've given up on focus, I've given up on trying to prevent distractions, and I arrange my life around knowing that I'm going to get squirrelled on a frequent but irregular basis.



Really, it's a miracle I get anything done at all.

© Copyright 2019 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/969731-Now-Where-Was-I