*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/970105-January-20-2020-Fantasy-Newsletter
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#970105 added January 22, 2020 at 10:02pm
Restrictions: None
January 20, 2020 Fantasy Newsletter
Editor's Picks

1. The Stand
2. WT- Life Before Earth, chap 1 The Proxy
3. The Tale of Nerya and Rhodwen
4. The Wind
5. Linzie, The Woman in the Moon
6.
7.
8.
9.

Heading 1

Between Seasons

Heading 2

Does the darkness of winter affect your writing or your characters' emotions?

Hook

Can you write through the darkness?

About This Newsletter

We are in in-between seasons.
The winter solstice is past,
and the spring equinox approaches.

We are in-between seasons.
The days grow longer,
and the nights shorter.

We are in-between seasons.
The short days and long nights
affect some of us more than others.

Letter From the Editor

Do the short dim days of winter affect your writing? Does winter cause your mood to descend into the brown study of depression? Do you find yourself doubting your ability or your ideas? Do you find yourself encountering more distractions that cause you to procrastinate when you are depressed? I can answer yes to all of those questions.

Fortunately, the winter solstice has passed, and the days are getting longer. The approach of the vernal equinox, at least in the Norther Hemisphere, renews hope. It does not, however, answer the question "How do I overcome winter blues?" This is a question I have been attempting to answer for several years. The only way I have found to overcome the winter blues, is to write through it.

If winter causes your depression try to write about another season when the winter blues occurs. Describe a spring scene or a summer scene, from the point of view of a character in you latest story. You can describe the scene from the point of view of the antagonist or protagonist, and let each description focus on a different seasonal characteristic. The wonderful thing about seasons is that each individual will have a different memory of the season.

How do you overcome the winter blues? Do you write through the darkness? Do you take a break from writing to meditate or take a walk? Do you make yourself a cup of hot chocolate to brighten your winter day? Do you fix yourself a bowl of comfort soup (any type of soup, you consider comfort food)? Do you lay your writing aside for a few minutes, so that you can read or review? Does your method of overcoming the winter blues help you get back to writing?


Editors Picks

 
STATIC
The Stand  (E)
They made their stand on Titan.
#1971647 by Teargen

Excerpt: At the rim of a canyon on a moon we call Titan, with parent Saturn
         looming majestically on high, in the diffuse yellow light
         provided by that eons-old star known as Sol and
         scattered by Titan’s methane-thin atmosphere,
         the Alpha Lights made their stand.

 WT- Life Before Earth, chap 1 The Proxy  (13+)
I swore I would kill the first born of the one who killed my first born, not help him.
#2209601 by D.B. Lawrence

Excerpt: However athletic and fit Garic may have been at sixteen years of age, at a trim 6'-1" his long legs and lungs burned nearing the end of absolute endurance in an all out sprint across the meadow towards a low wall and a tree growing just beyond before a large black wolf in hot pursuit overtook him. Chancing a glance behind was a mistake for when he saw how little of his lead remained; it opened a crack and allowed fear and doubt to slither their way into his mind. Don't go there, you'll make it.

 
STATIC
The Tale of Nerya and Rhodwen  (E)
A romantic tale from long ago. Second in Paranormal Romance Short Story Contest, 31/1.
#2210534 by Beholden

Excerpt: In the dawn of time Orthano, the Maker, decreed gifts to the Angels, Mankind and the Dwarves. To the Angels came immortality. They were the least populous of the higher creatures and they married rarely, so it was fitting that they live forever.

 
STATIC
The Wind  (E)
The ancient tale of The Wind, whom saved the earth from damnation.
#2207472 by Rosalyn Wilde

Excerpt: This was long before any could have known. Long before humanity entirely. Long before life. The wind was howling and throwing things about. Then came the clouds and growled at him with anger:

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#2210557 by Not Available.

Excerpt: Linzie is the man on the moon’s wife,
         She loves her magic wand that’s blue and purple,
         She turns the moon blue, red or other colors with it.

Activities, Groups, and Contests

FORUM
The Contest Challenge  (13+)
Join by entering a contest a month for 12 months--Win Badges! Catching up is allowed!
#2109126 by Schnujo is Late to Lannister


Feedback {nl:}





© Copyright 2020 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/970105-January-20-2020-Fantasy-Newsletter