*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/970550-Lifes-Full-of-Surprise
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#970550 added November 27, 2019 at 9:23am
Restrictions: None
Life's Full of Surprise
Write about a time when you 1st surprised yourself with your abilities. Is there a specific time you can remember when you were2nd convinced that you could not do something, and then you did it? Tell us!

signature dancing owl


Quote: "Planning is useful, but the most interesting times in life come from moments that catch you by surprise." This is the opening sentence from: http://www.wiseoldsayings.com/surprise-quotes/


WHAT?

Sure to the first part and maybe no to the second. It goes to the core of my being to look back and think about being convinced I could not do something. My mind was blank while I was growing up. If I had an urge to do it I probably did not fail when I tried. If the sparking urge wasn't there I probably walked away.

When other people set me to a job I did not want I probably didn't participate in it with enough energy to care. If they set me to a job I did not want I'd walk away or tell them I couldn't do it. If saying no did not work and I had to participate I would know I was not responsible for the results.

Men taught me things, because my Grandmother told me, late in life, that the adult females of the family made a pact not to teach me anything. This did not hold out to be true because even if they use you, you are learning good and bad things from people. Which people will help you in life; which people to be cautious around.

My uncle taught me to drive a tractor, untangle yarn, and plant strawberries; my brother taught me to drive stick shift and scramble eggs, my first father-in-law taught me to use a hammer properly and showed me how to build a dog house; one of my daughters high school friends explained how the electrical systems on a car works, Richard J. taught me the way to change a tire and how to swim, K taught me to change the oil of vehicles, the drivers training teacher in high school was a man, a male math teacher in my son's elementary school class during a parents conference taught me new math, so I could help my son at home with his home work, My first riding teacher was a man from Ohio. All the farriers that I have known were males and knew hundreds of little tricks about horses, that they were willing to share. This is the short list.

This is just to illustrate why I'm the way I am. I'm a women taught by men. They taught me, a pretty little girl, to survive in a man's world. I soon learned as I became an adult that changing the oil yourself is for the birds. Get a mechanic to do the dirty work. And, I refused to wear rags around the farm I insist on neat decent clothing.

These things don't make me a man. They show me how to live and survive in situations, that women who grew up with mothers and females around them, maybe never needed to know.

I learned about makeup and clothing by reading my cousins Seventeen Magazines.

I was tough on my children because life is tough where we live. Not as tough as it was in the late 50's, 60's and 70's. Now, there are houses with running water, indoor plumbing, TV, WIFI, internet, cell phones. With all of this it's still difficult to heat homes because the commodities market keeps the prices so high and the markups are moved to the consumers, and good jobs are not easy to find. A lot more women are taking on jobs that once were only delegated to males. I admire women who joined the military and learned survival.

I'm not surprised and I'm not a no-it-all. I just kept learning as time passed, and I aged. So, yeah, looking back, I'm a little stunnedby what I can do if I try. If it needs doing and I know I can manipulate the doing part. I'll work at it until I succeed or someone comes by to help. If life needs doing get it done. If it makes you cry go ahead, then get the work done anyway. *Laugh* I'll probably live to regret what I just said.

BYE, Happy Thanksgiving
*FlowerB*



© Copyright 2019 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/970550-Lifes-Full-of-Surprise