*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/971116-I-Applaud-This-Honesty
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(116)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Spiritual · #1149750
10k views, 2x BestPoetryCollection. A nothing from nowhere cast words to a world wide wind
#971116 added December 7, 2019 at 8:09pm
Restrictions: None
I Applaud This Honesty
Sexual assault is something that is seen on college campuses, libraries, or any public place across the world. At the beginning of my second semester of college, I attended a party where a man felt that he could reach his hand down my shirt and touch me. This is not something I had shared with people. I had always told myself I would smack a guy to next Sunday if he ever touched me in a way I didn't consent to. But when it happened, my whole body froze and I was in such a shock that I just stood there and walked away after he removed his hand. I didn't tell people because I felt ashamed and embarrassed that it happened. When I finally worked up the courage to tell select people, some of those people decided it was their right to talk about what happened to me with others. Not only was it humiliating when I found out that my privacy had been invaded, but I was shattered when I found out that the response of some of the people was that I was asking for it. Yes, I was at a party, but since when does my location consent for me? I was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt, my clothing did not consent for me. My beverage did not consent  for me, my make up did not consent for me, and the atmosphere of the party did not consent for me. In no way did I ask for what happened, and in no way do the other girls who are assaulted ask for what happened to them. We act like men aren't responsible for their actions when they are around other women. We also act like sexual assault is something that is frowned upon to talk about, but we should support people who have the courage to confide in us with their stories. EVERYONE has the right to their own body, but just because you feel confident in your right to yours, it does not give you the right to mine.


She attends my church

© Copyright 2019 He’s Brian K Compton (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
He’s Brian K Compton has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/971116-I-Applaud-This-Honesty