*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/972684-Jan-5-2020--The-Music-Is-In-My-Soul
by Tinker
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2206515
BiMonthly blog challenge accepted with an occasional jaunt to the Banana Bar Challenge.
#972684 added February 28, 2020 at 10:19am
Restrictions: None
Jan 5, 2020 The Music Is In My Soul
PROMPT January 5th:


I dance to the music in my soul. If it has a beat, I can move to it. I have been a dancer all of my life.

My Mom said I danced before I could walk. By the age of 5 she put me in tap lessons, very popular in the 40s. I graduated to jazz and at the age of 7, the dance school offered a class in hula taught by a Hawaiian instructor. My Mom thought it would teach me grace and enrolled me, There were only 4 girls in our class, I was the youngest. Throughout my teens our little quartet toured with a troupe, dancing the hula and some Tahitian numbers. We were very popular and got pretty good.

Many years later when I first opened my agency, an older woman came into my office for insurance. She had just moved to California from Hawaii. When I asked her occupation she said "hula dancer". And of course, I responded, "I can hula". She shook her head and politely laughed at the blonde houli on the other side of the desk and nicely told me that to be a good hula dancer you need to begin training at a young age. At that, I stood, slipped off my heels, walked around the side of the desk and went into a vamp. She was dumbstruck, "You can hula!". Yes, I can.

A few years later while visiting the Island of Maui as a Soroptimist regional board member for an International Leadership Conference, other board members and myself were out for an evening and stopped at a nice bar for a drink after dinner. There were some locals at the bar, playing ukuleles and guitars and a woman from their group got up and began to hula. It happened to be a song I knew from when I was a kid so I took off my shoes and joined her. The local Hawaiians were delighted that I knew the dance and moved like a native. They wanted more and the woman and I obliged. My fellow board members were in awe and wanted to learn. Of course, I had to shake my head, politely laugh and nicely told them that to be a good hula dancer you need to begin training at a young age. *Wink*

I may be old now, but my body knows how to move with grace and rhythm. I can still do the hula. I love to dance and don't need much encouragement to do so.

graceful hands
tell a story while hips sway
in rhythm
          ~~jvg

Merit Badge in Music
[Click For More Info]

   Congratulations for winning 2nd Place for your piece, [Link to Book Entry #930957] in  [Link To Item #2002225] ! *^*Bigsmile*^* *^*Heart*^* Tracey
          Merit Badge in I Write in 2018
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations!

You owned 2018!
For the whole 2018 year, you wrote and reviewed at least once a week. For one whole tour around the sun, you were creative for your own and you gave your time to help other writers to see their writing through another set of eyes with the reviews you sent out.
Let your accomplishment be celebrated and rewarded by this merit badge. Many tried, few survived. 
You are an "I Write" WINNER! Merit Badge in I Write In 2019
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on earning this unique and exclusive merit badge for your participation in I Write in 2019 in which you wrote and reviewed once a week for the whole year. 
You are a winner!


© Copyright 2020 Tinker (UN: tinker1111 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tinker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/972684-Jan-5-2020--The-Music-Is-In-My-Soul