*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/973159-Resolutions-Or-Not
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#973159 added January 11, 2020 at 2:40pm
Restrictions: None
Resolutions Or Not
         I didn't make any new resolutions. There are always some things I want to achieve, the same old. I always want to lose 15 pounds (when I do, I know they're coming back). I always want to write more, exercise regularly, not sporadically, and read more books. I don't have to cut out smoking, or drinking or drugs. Not a problem. I don't overspend except on presents for the kids. I can't seem to be creative about resolutions or do something dramatic to change my life.

         Dr. Phil says that for a resolution to work, you must make it about something you're sick to death of. Like always being late to work and getting frowned at, or always being overweight. Or having a messy bedroom while the rest of the house looks fine. Or being in debt. You have to reach the sick to death of it stage before you are truly motivated to stick with your new resolve. You might be sick to death of never finishing the novels you start. That is your starting point.

         He also cautions not to take on too much at once. Concentrate on the two or three things, at most, that you feel will change your life. That means you must prioritize. Second, you have to make your environment work for your goals. If snacking too much is a problem, get rid of the snacks; if other members of the household need snacks, make them harder to get to, or go out of you way to avoid going near them. He also says you can't multitask and be efficient. Your boss may think it's a good idea (he's just trying to get what he thinks is the most for his payroll dollar). but don't do it in your own environment. You might be able to listen to a podcast while walking in the park, but you really can't do that while trying to write. You can't concentrate on a book, while plopped in front of the TV showing a movie you love. You can't take interruptions while trying to work on a project, but you should take 5 to 15 minute breaks at least every two hours; for some of us, those breaks need to be more often. Labor efficiency experts nailed the two hour break intervals at work. That was for the majority of people in order to get the most output. It was not an arbitrary decision.

         So I have no new resolutions. I do need to work on some underlying or supporting goals. Mostly, I have to deal with my own sabotage, those negative messages I've had since my teens and childhood. I can't succeed. It just wasn't meant for me. Intellectually, I know that's wrong. But my heart just clings to that negative programming.


© Copyright 2020 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/973159-Resolutions-Or-Not