*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/973396-Assumptions
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#973396 added January 14, 2020 at 1:45pm
Restrictions: None
Assumptions
30 Day Blogging Challenge

PROMPT January 14th
Write about a time when you made a wrong assumption. Did you realize your mistake right away, or did someone tell you later? What did you learn from your mistake?

Anytime I make an assumption I have learned not to assume because it makes an Ass of Me. I tend to ask for clarity whenever possible. I may come off as seeming like an idiot, but at least I avoid making too many assumptions.

If I discover I have made a mistake I usually try to rectify the situation by being open and honest about my mistake. Most people take it well... and can see the humour in it.

I often find I will make assumptions about the people here on WDC. When you don't know people, you make up an impression from their writing and their handle name. Sometimes that impression is pretty accurate, but sometimes it is way off.

I have learned that not all people are like me just because they write. I can't white wash the world, nor would I want to.... but I think their is a tendency to do that type of thing. Being aware of that is the first step to realizing we all have prejudices and assumptions about others. It's a human tendency.

I believe we all have much to offer beyond our outer shells. I try to look beyond, to the heart and mind of the person, if at all possible.

I have encountered surprises along the way - I have found that some people may have a better grasp of the English language than I do and then I discover that English is their second language. That's impressive.
I've also learned just because someone is a beautiful writer does not mean they are as old as I think they are. I have learned it is often a good idea to check a person's biography before responding. I remember reading someone's work and then discovering they were only 16 or 17. Impressive.

I try to keep an open mind. I also try to pass on my appreciation of their gifts and talents. Everyone could use a positive boost from time to time.

We are all individual and bring a flavour to our work. I want to taste the variety and be inspired to shine my own light in this sea of diversity. I also want to inspire others to shine their own lights into this world.

We learn so much if we stay open to variety and diversity.

© Copyright 2020 💙 Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
💙 Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/973396-Assumptions