*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/973572-So-My-Computer-Story
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #2156493
A hub for the "Book of Masks" universe.
#973572 added January 17, 2020 at 9:27am
Restrictions: None
So, My Computer Story
While I'm waiting for Windows 10 to download** I've nothing else to do, so for the record and for whatever it's worth, the short version of my computer travails:

My old machine is a MacBook Pro that was cutting edge when it was brand-new ... 10 years ago. It's given me great service in all that time, even as it has gradually devolved from a very sharp knife to a very starchy potato. I first realized it had to be replaced when I found that it had fallen four operating systems out of date, and that its architecture was incompatible with all of them. I second realized it had to be replaced when the keys started falling off it.

So I saved up money, and last week put in an order for a new MacBook Pro—the latest and sharpest knife in the drawer.

I was waiting for it to be delivered when my old computer had a nervous breakdown.

Never mind the details, except to say that I had to force-quit when the machine froze, and it started spewing code like it was pea-green vomit when it restarted.

Technically and literally, I have no idea what happened or why it chose this moment to happen. Figuratively, I don't know if my old machine realized it was being replaced and spitefully killed itself early, or whether it joyfully relaxed it grip on the material plane when to its relief it saw that I no longer needed it.

I am going to take the old machine to the Mac doctor to see if it can be salvaged. There is nothing wrong with the machine itself (aside from age, a busted DVD drive, and loose keys), because it was only the Mac installation that exploded; the Windows installation works fine. If the expense isn't too great, I will keep the old machine around as a spare.

My thanks to all who expressed sympathy with my computer problems.

** Yes, I'm downloading Windows onto a Mac. I'm using Bootcamp to put in a parallel Windows installation for gaming.

© Copyright 2020 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/973572-So-My-Computer-Story