*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/974027-January-23-2020--The-sound-of----
by Tinker
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2206515
BiMonthly blog challenge accepted with an occasional jaunt to the Banana Bar Challenge.
#974027 added January 28, 2020 at 4:55pm
Restrictions: None
January 23, 2020 The sound of . . . .
PROMPT: January 23rd


She was told not to come here. She had dreamt this might happen. But here she was anyway. She was a girl, sitting alone on a rock at the edge of the woods, who jumps at the sound of a twig snapping. She came here to sort out her thoughts, get away from the pugilistic noises she called her life. But the woods were off-limits, there had been odd sightings, and rumors of ghostly encounters, she was just a girl. She scrunched down a little, making herself smaller, less visible. Was it really so unbearable at home that she risked being ravaged by a predator or abducted by an alien? She took a moment, then laughed at herself at that thought.

Pushing rumors and nightmares to the wind, she willed herself to straighten her body and breathe in the cool, clear air of the mountain, filling herself with its pine-scented essence. In the silence that surrounded her, she could hear her own heartbeat; she was alive, capable and relevant. This was her mantra, she would repeat and repeat. At home or in the forest, the sound of a twig snapping would not send her into self-doubt again.

pink monsters
giggle under the bed
without malice
                   ~~jvg



© Copyright 2020 Tinker (UN: tinker1111 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Tinker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/974027-January-23-2020--The-sound-of----