*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/974500-Dogs-Cats-and-squirrels
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#974500 added January 29, 2020 at 12:47pm
Restrictions: None
Dogs, Cats and squirrels
signature dancing owl


"Writing is a mirror. If someone doesn't like what your write, maybe it's because they don't like what they see in the reflection." quote from Thief River Falls by Brian Freeman


A girl, sitting alone on a rock at the edge of the woods, jumps when she hears…

Lilli sent me this on January 23. I just found it today. January 29,2020. I think I am going to revise it somewhat since I found it late.

Reading and audio Book


Scrabble, scrabble , scrabble, what's that noise? When you are alone in a large house every unidentified noise seems especially loud, or annoying, something to be checked out.

This is good story and I'm trying to stay connected to it. It's an audio library book, "Death Qualified," by Kate Wilhel. I'm into the last few chapters and the good stuff about the murder is about to be explained. So..... the dog opens up with an alarm bark. I get up to check it out. Just a rabbit at the feeder. I press the start button on the book.

My two teenage cats tear through the room, rolling over as they engage in a tumble of flying furry fun, then tear out of the room and up the stairs, back down the stairs, and back through the room. They continue galloping and thumping, noisy as bulls dumping riders in a rodeo. Of course, I stop to watch them. (press pause)

The room quiets. I start the book again. Scrabble, scrabble, scrabble. Out a north window I can see a red squirrel flitting around on the back porch. I press pause so I can watch the squirrel. So, that's the reason I find black walnut husks in the chairs on the back porch.

I start the book again, notice the time and press pause. I need to change the laundry from the washing machine to the dryer. Once more settled in my chair I start the book again. Press pause,then, jump up to fill the wood furnace with fuel.

Dog and cats begin to mill around. Jump into my lap. Use their paws to move things gently off the stand beside the chair. I check the time. Yup. Lunch time. I press pause, and fix lunch for my furry friends.

Scrabble, scrabble, scrabble, I look up while placing clean towels fresh from the dryer into the rack, in the bathroom. The squirrel has moved into the house. I shut the bathroom door. Take down a ceiling panel which drops the little red monster onto the floor. It's dazed. I trap it in an ice cream bucket, slide the lid on, and cart it outside and turn it loose. Someday, it will make a mistake and try for the cat food on the upstairs summer room balcony, where the cats will finish it off. Today, it gets a short time to live a few more days.

It's time to press play and get back to my story. I'm going to use my noise blocking, blue tooth, ear phones. Maybe, just maybe, I can hear a whole chapter before I have to pause again.

Just a day in my reading life.
















apondia#1781748






© Copyright 2020 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/974500-Dogs-Cats-and-squirrels