*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977227-Burn
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#977227 added March 5, 2020 at 1:38pm
Restrictions: None
Burn

Written in connection with "Note: 48-HOUR CHALLENGE : Media Prompt Deadl..." | 466 words (excl. lyrics)




Lyrics


For some reason, this song is making me think about my recent efforts to get back into writing after spending the last year a half buried in work at multiple jobs and adjusting to life with kids. I've really struggled to get back into my writing habit (probably even before that, if I'm being honest), and there have been a lot of stops and false starts along the way. I don't know if that's because I truly run into insurmountable obstacles or if it's because I was looking for an excuse not to do the hard work of actually sitting down and getting back to the page again.

Ultimately, after completing "The Soundtrack of Your Life last month and signing up for "Wonderland this month, I think I might have finally shaken the rust off. I'm finding myself excited by the Wonderland writing challenges, as well as the idea of blogging again and even (gasp) getting back to work on my screenplay and my novel which have been sitting idle. For far too long I fear I've been one of those writers who isn't really writing but rather thinks about writing all the time, and I really want to get back to being the kind of writer who actually writes things again. I promised myself that 2020 is going to be the year that I take my writing really seriously and make an effort to get published and get back on track, and that's never going to happen if I don't get off the sidelines and get back into the habit.

One of the things I really love about the Writing.com community is that there are activities like SOYL and Wonderland that are smaller, bite-sized opportunities to accomplish something. A lot of writers turn their nose up at these activities (or contests and other writing challenges) because they're not furthering the author's specific writing goals (their current work-in-progress, whatever that may be), but I've always found a strength and encouragement in being able to tackle these smaller challenges and get a jolt of confidence that comes from actually finishing something. Maybe other writers don't have the same fear of failure, and sense of impostor syndrome that I often struggle with, but as someone who does struggle with those things, it's nice to have a low-stakes, friendly community of fellow writers where I can stretch my wings, get my feet under me again, and experiment with some things without worrying that it's going to have a catastrophic effect on my writing career.

I don't know why this song brought out all of these emotions (or maybe they just bubbled up today naturally as I was thinking about what to write about), but that's what was going through my head as I listened to this song today.


© Copyright 2020 Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jaeff | KBtW of the Free Folk has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977227-Burn