*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977316-Stockpile
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#977316 added March 6, 2020 at 4:02pm
Restrictions: None
Stockpile?
What product would you stockpile if you found out it would never be sold again? (If the product you choose is perishable, imagine, for the purposes of this question, that the product would remain usable/edible forever.)



signature dancing owl *Violin*


Stockpile It or Use It


*Rolling* I'm having a lot of trouble with this one. Good 100 percent cotton, cushioned socks would be something I would hoard (oh yeah, you said stockpile). I thought about canned salmon but then I thought, maybe, I could go fishing so the next necessity is a good pair of cushioned socks.

Maybe even wool ones. I figure I could make shoes out of what ever is handy, tree bark, braided grass stalks, or leather like moccasins, if available.

In my 30's when I was knitting and crocheting for my children I learned to turn a heel(a knitting term) and put thumbs and fingers in woolen gloves. Even then, you have to have the material to make them. Which won't be available quickly plus, is internet buying still going to be available? I can spin wool into yarn even with out a spinning wheel, I could probably make a spindle. But, alas, I stopped raising sheep in the 1990's. And, for the above reasons sheep farmers are probably going to stockpile sheep. If it's a case of a product hard to get.

Stockpile? Is that a synonym for buy out the supply?

Over the many years of reading, I've read a lot of stories about what happens when for one reason or another society fails to maintain it's hold on a truly civilized type of government. At first these stories made me nervous. (I was in my teens reading science fiction.) I thought a lot about how I would maintain my life. Now, I kind of look at what causes chaos when I read about civilization failing.

Just one product doesn't sound right? Why would just one product become unavailable? If, we can't buy from China because of the Corona Virus, a lot of products may become scarce? At least until some factories and farms catch up to the need. My paternal Grandmother told me how bad it was raising children and living on a farm during the World War.

I was in a history class in 2000 (not sure what year I took this class?) The history teacher was an immigrant. I was about age 58. The teacher was explaining some of the problems people from his former country were up against and how difficult it was to accurately give a good description to students who rarely see the needs that are not met in other societies. Anyway, he stated something like, The USA could eventually experience a chaos scenario where needs were not met or the government would be erratic and chaos would happen country wide. A young student jumped up from her chair and shouted, "This is the USA, that isn't ever going to happen here." She stomped from the room and never returned to the class.

It's difficult for me to visualize one thing needing to be stockpiled. If, you need one thing it would be like dominoes, it would lead to something else then something else. I know people who are stockpiling meals, water, and other necessities because they think it may get really bad in this country, really soon.

I'm right now thinking of fiction stories I've read, where it was dangerous to walk into a mall looking to scrounge what ever is available to stay alive, because others are just as needy and fighting over what ever hasn't been stolen all ready.

Maybe someone else will have a take on this I haven't thought of??? I'm thinking maybe of buying some new socks this week end? *Laugh*


Merit Badge in Encore! Encore!
[Click For More Info]

Thank you for your interesting entries in the 30 day 50/50 Lyn


© Copyright 2020 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977316-Stockpile