*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977522
Rated: 13+ · Book · Teen · #2189048
Story of Torey Campbell, Part 1. Beginning through First Plot Point. Work in progress.
#977522 added March 8, 2020 at 4:22pm
Restrictions: None
Scene 23 _ Second Science Class
Scene 23 Rev C

Scene 23 “Second Science Class”

Torey Campbell — Protagonist
Addo Okoro — Torey’s best friend
Viviana “Vivi” Tessaro — Torey’s girlfriend
Dr. Murdoch Henderson — Science Teacher at Butler Cowan Middle School


         Torey approached Room 201. The school building was warm but not oppressive on this late August Monday morning. He noticed Addo standing by the classroom door, and Viviana approaching from the other direction.
         Today, Torey’s usual attire of worn but clean T-shirt and jeans was accented by his new pair of Stacy Adams ‘Detonator’ chukka boots.
         Addo, as always, was the best dressed boy in the crowd, with an expensive but conservative collared shirt, well-fitting slacks, and shiny black shoes.
         Torey gave a thumbs-up as he approached. “Hi, guys,” he said in a bubbly voice.
         “Hey, those boots look great,” Addo said. Then, “Torey, what happened to your face, man?” he gasped as his mouth fell open.
         Vivi joined the conversation and answered for Torey. “He got beat up,” she said in a matter-of-fact tone.
         “When? Why? Who did it?” Addo stammered, in complete shock.
         “When I got off the bus after I left you on Saturday,” Torey answered.
         Vivi added, “Rufus Kenly and Nestor Ramirez did it.”
         Addo was confused. “How do you know, Vivi. Were you there?”
         “I got off the next bus a few minutes later,” Viviana explained, “and found Campbell here laying on the ground all beat up.”
         Today, Viviana wore a well-made, but modest, blouse and skirt — very much into the most up to date high school fashion. She always dressed well. Her long black wavy hair draped over her shoulders, and her dark complexion and dark eyes were set off by her bright red lipstick.
         Addo’s eyes widened. He was at a loss for words. After a long pause, “Why did they do it?”
         Torey briefly explained the bus trip followed by his intervention in the bullying of Jethro Lawson. Then he paused.
         Addo’s mind scrambled to understand. “Man. They are mean. I hate bullies,” he exclaimed, slamming his fists against his thighs.
         Torey hesitated, “Well, there's more,” he continued.
         Torey retold the encounter with “Iceman” Bertozzi, where he was urged to become Bertozzi’s lead drug dealer at Butler-Cowan Middle School.
         Vivi frowned at Torey. “You didn't tell me about that,” she said with a touch of resentment in her voice.
         “At that time, I wasn’t interested in conversation,” Torey replied, looking hard at Vivi.
         Addo stuffed his hands in his pockets, “So these guys are waiting to hear your answer?”
         “Yeah.”
         “What are you gonna do?” asked Vivi.
         Torey looked down and mumbled, “Don't know.”
         “Do you want to deal drugs for Bertozzi?” Addo asked, the concern evident in his voice.
         “Hell no,” Torey replied emphatically.
         “But they're still after you, right?” Vivi asked.
         “Yeah.”
         “Man, that's bad,” Addo said, shuffling his feet.
         Torey changed the subject. “Hey. We were supposed to come up with a name for our science team by today.”
         Addo gasped, “Oooh. I forgot about that.”
         “Who cares,” Viviana mocked, “why do we need a name for a dumb science team?”
         Torey looked distressed. “Who knows, but it was an assignment, and we didn't do it.”
         “I'm sure he has something planned,” said Addo.
         Torey groaned, “I don't like being unprepared for class.”
         “Too late now,” Addo replied.
         The clang of the class bell terminated hall conversations. Stragglers drifted into the classrooms, and doors closed.
         Torey, Addo, and Viviana, now a team of sorts, gathered together at the far end of the front table. It appeared that all of the students had clustered as teams and filled all the rows save the front row.
         Dr. Henderson entered the room, plopped his briefcase on the front table, then looked over the class, smiling. In a loud, upbeat voice, he addressed the students, suppressing the chatter. “Greetings, class. I hope you all were able to complete the easy assignment I gave you during our last class. This was a simple test of your ability to follow directions and to cooperate. So, I presume you all have team names to hand in when class ends. I look forward to enjoying some interesting names.”
         Torey and Addo exchanged skeptical looks.
         Vivi whispered, to no one in particular, “We don't need a stupid team name.”
         “Vivi! Please!” Torey whispered, imploring silence.
         Dr. Henderson, scientist and academic though he was, was quite a dapper fellow. Today he wore a Perry Ellis tan herringbone two-piece linen suit, appropriate for the warmth of late August. His white shirt, unquestionably with short sleeves, was augmented with a brown “Colonel Sanders” string tie. Brown Italian woven leather loafers finished it off.
         Henderson began his lecture. “At our last meeting, I passed out a synopsis of the semester ahead. That was very abbreviated because I wanted to restrict it to one page, and it doesn’t include the spring semester, which is the second half of this class. Today I will dig a little deeper into what awaits you this year. Let me remind you that this is a one-year course, two consecutive semesters — divided only by the necessities of the calendar. First, let me say the topics are laid out in the order you will encounter them in high school. Which, in turn, is based on your capabilities in mathematics. Since mathematics is the language of science, it is good for your mathematical skills to be a bit ahead of your science skills.”
         Dr. Henderson asked the students to take out the synopsis, then went through it in detail.
         “You will encounter biology first, here, as in high school.
         “We will start with the Scientific Method, which applies to all science, not just Biology.
         “Biology is the study of living things, which is the first scientific subject you will meet in high school, here we will learn the basics of cell structure. We'll glimpse the basics of viruses, bacteria, and fungi. Then we will move up to plants. There, we will conclude the first half of our adventure with the end of the fall semester.”
         Henderson paused. Was he finished? He walked to the corner of the room nearest Addo, Vivi, and Torey and began again.
         “The second half of our journey picks up when spring semester begins. We move on to the understanding of animals: Invertebrates, fishes and amphibians, reptiles, birds, then mammals. At last, we reach the study of ourselves, the human body. As we near the year's end, we'll take a brief look into the world of Chemistry by understanding the Elements and the Periodic Table.
         “Last, we will take a short look at Physics. Short because we will be out of time and because your skill in mathematics will not be ready for this material. So, we'll just glimpse the Laws of Motion, and the world of Light and Sound.
         “When we close our books, you will be as prepared as I can make you for the wonderful world of science that awaits you in high school,” Dr. Henderson concluded, surveying the class from above his spectacles.
         “We're gonna cover all that?” Viviana whispered to no one in particular.
         Henderson overheard her comment. “Yes, my dear. This course is an introduction, so we'll skim the surface of many subjects, but not go into depth on any of them.
         Torey was excited. “Wow! This will be neat. I'm gonna like this.”
         “Chemistry and Physics sound interesting,” Addo said. “Can't say I'm wild about the biology.”
         Vivi huffed, “I don't like any of it.”
         Addo faced Vivi with a pained expression on his face, his eyes cold. “Why did you sign up for this class?” he asked.
         Viviana hesitated for a long second. “My father told me too,” she admitted, sniffling.
         “Vivi, give it a chance,” Torey pleaded, “you may like it.”
         Henderson got his second wind. He was on a roll, excited about this new plan he was about to try out for the first time in this class. “Now, let me talk about team names, the reason for teams, and how your fate is tied to the team.”
          “Uh oh, here we go,” Addo mumbled, lowering his head.
         Dr. Henderson then gave an extended explanation that excited some, dismayed others, but baffled many. “The purpose of the team is to give you some experience with teamwork — working together for the common good, recognizing that your fate depends on someone else and that someone else depends on you. I want team names so I can refer to you as a group, and so you can build a team identification, and, I hope, some competitive spirit. This is more of a life lesson than a science lesson. Please listen with both ears.”
         I get it! Just like soccer. Torey thought. When everybody does their best and works together, the team does better, and everyone shares in the reward.
         “Let me explain how team grading will work,” Henderson continued. “Pay close attention, for this will have a very personal impact on you.
         “Your individual grades for this autumn semester will be calculated based on your test performance, homework assignments, and class participation. You will share the score earned on a couple team projects I have planned. The same holds for the spring semester but will include the grade for the science paper we discussed last time.
         “Then comes the impact of team grading. Recall that we have eight teams of three people each.” Dr. Henderson began to read from a sheet of paper.
          “1. I will calculate, for each of you, an average grade for the year by averaging your autumn and spring semester grades. Call that your ‘individual year average.’
          “2. I will use that ‘individual year average’ to calculate a ‘team year average.’
          “3. Members of the team with the highest ‘team year average’ will each receive five points added to their individual grade for the spring semester.
          “4. Members of the team with the second highest ‘team year average’ will each receive two points added to their individual spring semester grade.”
         Henderson passed out the explanatory sheet containing everything he had just said plus an example. “I’m doing this to emphasize that science is both an individual and team effort. Success comes from both working on your own and sharing with others.”
         “I don't understand,” Vivi said, her voice high pitched and nervous.
         Torey and Addo tried to explain in a way that would encourage her.
         Torey: “We each earn our own grades.”
         Addo: “Then those individual grades get averaged to come up with a team grade.
         Torey: “The team with the highest score wins.”
         Addo: “Then each member of the winning team gets five points added to his individual grade.
         Torey: “If your team comes in second, same thing, but it’s two points instead of five.”
         Addo finished the explanation, his voice upbeat with encouragement. “If we do well, we all get a higher grade at the end of the year.”
         “I still don't understand,” Vivi said, her face blank. “What’s an average?”
         Torey and Addo look at each other, distraught.
         Addo tried to soothe and encourage Viviana. “All it means,” he said, “is that you should work very hard to get the best possible grade in every assignment and test. That helps all of us, not just you.”
         “Addo, this is awesome,” said Torey, “we might be able to get a final science grade over 100.”
         “I doubt that,” Addo said, looking at Viviana.
         Viviana changed the conversation. “I want to change topics for this science paper,” she said.
         “Why?” asked Torey.
         “I don't know anything about this stuff,” Vivi replied, showing her palms and shrugging.
         Addo could not recall the subject of Viviana’s paper. “What is your topic again?”
         “Carbon Dioxide and Global Warming.”
         “We can do some research on it?” Torey suggested, trying to get Vivi to back down, and hinting that he would help her.
         Viviana stared hard at Addo, then Torey. “No! I want to change it!”
         “Ask Henderson,” Addo said, shrugging and nodding toward the teacher.
         Vivi raised her hand and waved her arm to get the teacher’s attention.
         Henderson looked at Viviana over his spectacles, his mind running through the mental drill he had used for many years to remember names. “Yes … Miss … Tessaro. You have a question?”
         “I want to change the topic for my science paper,” Viviana said, standing as she spoke.
         Henderson raised his eyebrows. “Why do you want to do that?”
         “I don't know anything about this subject,” she said, picking at her nail polish.
         Henderson looked befuddled. “What’s the subject?”
         “Carbon Dioxide and Global Warming,” Vivi replied, moving to the front of the room as she spoke.
         “Ahh yes,” Henderson said, “In my view, the most interesting and most important subject of the lot … one of my favorites.”
         Vivi repeated. “I don't know anything about this subject.”
         “Of course, you don't,” Henderson said. “No one in the class knows anything about the topic they picked,” his voice implying he was stating the obvious.
         “Then how can we write about it?” Vivi asked pointedly, tilting her head to the side.
         Henderson tried to be understanding and not sound sarcastic. “It's not the purpose of the paper to write about something you know. The purpose is to learn something you don't know, then write about it.”
         Vivi replied with a hard look, “I want to change.”
         Henderson was becoming exasperated. He spoke to the whole class. “If I do this, it will be one time for one person. No one else will get this opportunity. I know that is not fair. But that's the way it will be. Any complaints? Should I let her?”
         The rest of the class, happy to be included in the discussion, responded with ‘Yeas’ and ‘Nays.’ The Yeas appearing to have a slight edge.
         Henderson cleared his throat. “Very well. One time.”
         Dr. Henderson removed six slips of paper from his briefcase, put them into a bowl, stirred them, then smiled at Viviana as he held out the dish. “Miss Tessaro, give me your slip and pick another.”
         Vivi hesitated, hand trembling, then surrendered her slip, and reached in the bowl and lifted out one piece of paper.
         “What is it?” Henderson asked.
         Vivi looked at the slip, then at Dr. Henderson. “ 'A Journey Through the Periodic Table', ” she replied. “What does that mean? Let me pick again.”
         “Absolutely not,” Henderson replied with a sharp laugh, his nostrils flaring. “You made your choice.”
         “That's not fair,” Viviana said, her voice choked with tears.
         “You're right, none of this is fair, but you were OK with it when it served you,” Henderson said, placing his hands on his hips. “Now you don't like it. You have your topic. I will expect some extraordinary work from you on the Periodic Table.”
         Henderson’s firm voice subdued his cold anger. Torey, Vivi, and Addo all looked shocked. A low rumble of whispered boos rose from the other students. At Vivi, Henderson, or both? Henderson’s deep frown and hard stare revealed his displeasure with being confronted in this manner by a student.
         “What is the Periodic Table?” Vivi asked Torey, confused.
         Addo pointed to the oversized illustration above the blackboard on the front wall. “I think that's it right there.”
         The bell sounded. Students gathered their belongings and began filing out of the room, handing Dr. Henderson their team names as they passed through the door. The scuffing of stools and the chatter of students masked the almost frantic conversation going on between our three heroes.
         Torey spoke first. “Wait. We have to come up with a team name,” he said, rubbing the back of his neck.
         “Who cares about a team name,” Vivi said, refusing to look at either of her teammates.
          “Come on Vivi, we gotta do this,” Addo pleaded.
         Vivi rattled off some possibilities. “How about Tigers, Dragons, or Silver Angels?” she offered, sarcasm dripping, but trying to participate.
         All of those got scowls from Addo and Torey.
         “Blades?” Addo said, his voice turning up in a hopeful, questioning way.
         Negative head nods from Torey and Vivi.
         Addo leaned in and tried again. “How about Bravo Squad?”
         Torey and Vivi screwed up their faces.
         Torey offered. “How about Scourge Crew?”
         More scowls. This time from all three. Torey didn’t like it either. They were grasping at straws.
         Henderson gathered his papers and packed his briefcase while waiting, then chimed in. “Time’s up. You should have done this before today. Give me a name, or I'll make up one that you won't like,” he said in a challenging tone.
         Torey blurted out, “Jester Squadron.”
         Addo and Vivi looked at each other, then at Torey, then at Henderson, in unison and surprise.
         Henderson replied, his voice resolute, “Jester Squadron it is. Now move along to your next class. You three are getting off to a poor start in this class. I hope things pick up for you.” If looks could kill …
         Viviana shook her head and muttered, “That's a terrible name.”
         “Where did that come from?” Addo asked, playfully swatting Torey’s arm.
         “I saw it on some stupid TV show, and it just came to my mind,” Torey answered with a shrug.
         “I don't like it,” Vivi opined.
         “Me neither,” Addo added, slumping on his stool.
         Torey, his face turning red, glared at both of them and rebuked them harshly. “Me neither, but we had a week to do this, and neither of you came up with any good ideas. Then at the last minute, we couldn't even agree on a bad idea. Maybe that will teach us a lesson about preparation. We’ve got a name. Subject closed. Don't bring it up again.”
         Henderson was gone, the classroom empty. Vivi and Addo looked at Torey, wide-eyed and open-mouthed, experiencing their first encounter with an authoritative Torey Campbell, still bristling with anger, but surprised at himself.
         The next class was lunch.
###

Word Count: 2,953
Readability Consensus (based on 7 readability formulas):
         Grade Level: 5
         Reading Level: Fairly easy to read.
         Reader's Age: 8-9 yrs. old (Fourth and Fifth graders)

© Copyright 2020 flyfishercacher (UN: rlhazlett at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
flyfishercacher has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977522