*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977632-Rebellion
by Rhyssa
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2213634
a journey into Wonderland
#977632 added March 26, 2020 at 4:27am
Restrictions: None
Rebellion
In relation to the challenge above, a most ridiculous and unjust verdict has been given to you (or character), what rebellious action is carried out in retaliation? (blog entry or short story <1000 words)

Olivia, Jordan, and Marta didn't realize that they had been banned until naptime was over and they went back out to the tree house to play. The list of rules (which technically, only Olivia could read, and only with halting care, although all three knew their alphabet) was now taped on the door, and their older sisters were playing inside with the table shoved against the door as a crude barrier.

“Let us in!” said Marta. “Daddy made it for all of us, not just you two.”

“You're not allowed,” said Kaycee. ”By Rule 42, a game was chosen that only citizens can play. Come back later.”

“Let us in or I'll scream.” This was Jordan, who was blessed with an enormous lung capacity. Marta at sat in the grass and was preparing to cry, and Olivia was sounding out rule 42 aloud. She at first had contemplated bringing Mama in to arbitrate, however, she knew that parents are not constantly around, and there comes a point at which a group of children must hammer these things out on their own. She also knew that Amber and Kaycee weren't really mean. They just wanted their time, too.

Not that she could articulate that. But she was an intuitive child and she loved all her sisters. Even the mean ones. She needed to change the parameters of this conflict.

“Well,” said Olivia. “If you don't want to play with us in the tree house, maybe it's time for us to go find something to play with inside.” She let a long moment pass while she grinned at Jordan and Marta. “Maybe in your room.”

There was a scraping inside as the table was drawn back. “You're not allowed,” said Amber, who had certain things that she did not want any of her sisters to play with.

“You know better,” said Olivia. “And tickle penalties better not apply. You know I'm not ticklish. You know you are.” She turned around and asked her fellow triplets. “I vote we rip up all these rules.” The youngsters cheered.

“But we have to have rules!” Kaycee liked order.

“We just need three. Rule one: Be Nice. Rule two: Take turns. Rule three: Mama makes the rules.”

Everyone laughed because those were the rules in the house. And they made sense here, too.

Mama grinned from the kitchen window where she'd been watching and listening. She was glad she didn't have to intervene. This time.

word count: 416

© Copyright 2020 Rhyssa (UN: sadilou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rhyssa has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/977632-Rebellion