*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/979064-Self-Isolated
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#979064 added March 24, 2020 at 3:55pm
Restrictions: None
Self Isolated
         I'm staying in. Although, I'm not out and about a lot normally, knowing that I shouldn't go out makes me want to go that much more. I usually try to avoid going to the store until I have to. Now I'm making a mental list everyday of things I just have to have now!

         I did drive out to the mailbox at the shopping center to mail some bills. The carrier in our neighborhood is extremely unreliable. I took my 91 year old father, just to prevent cabin fever. He wanted to ride around and look at the new construction on our mountain, so we spent an hour almost just looking at new homes, bigger than ours, but with much smaller yards.

         Dr, Oz says that if you go out somewhere you should take your shoes off at your door. Leave them there for 24 hours. There's a lot to remember. Shoes will hold the virus 24 hours; so will cardboard, like your Amazon deliveries, or pizza boxes. He says for food deliveries have containers at the door before arrival and a plastic trash bag. Pay over the phone and include the tip, so the delivery guy doesn't linger. At your door, transfer the pizza to a pan and discard the box in the bag which you will leave outside until tomorrow. For Chinese or other foods, wear gloves to open the food containers and empty into bowls or platters. Discard containers in bag. He says it's not the food prepares you need to be wary of, it's the delivery person who has handled the containers just before you get them.

         There are times for copper and plastic and wood which I can't remember. Wood I believe is safer. Fabrics will only hold the virus 7 or 8 hours, so change clothes if you went to work or to the store immediately, but you don't have to launder right away.

         There have been some important people still working-first responders, pharmacy employees, grocery clerks, and medical personnel. Don't forget truck drivers. They sit isolated in a cab for long hours, so they have been able to safely keep working. Without them, we'd never get the TP or water or potato chips replenished. They still need a place to shower, gas up the trucks and get food, so truck stops have been fully operational. Then there's the UPS guys. Mine usually drops off everyone's boxes up near the door. Everyone in the neighborhood has a long driveway; mine is straight and not that long. I looked everywhere around my house and garage and couldn't find my package due Sunday night. My dad found it dripping wet out on the street the next morning. They never ring the bell or make personal contact, so what was he afraid of?

         These are extraordinary times (I know you haven't heard that anywhere) and will never be forgotten by those who survive. It's bringing out the worst in some people, and the best in others. We each have to do our part, to act as we are called.

© Copyright 2020 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/979064-Self-Isolated