*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/979798-So-I-said-Id-tell-you-a-story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2217155
A month long challenge to stay positive and pass it on to others.
#979798 added March 31, 2020 at 2:11pm
Restrictions: None
So, I said I'd tell you a story...
When I lived in Philly I worked downtown. There was a guy in front of my building always asking for change. A tough gig in that town, no one gives away money to anyone. So, you tend to basically ignore people, especially when you aren't making much yourself. Well, one day this guy gets my attention, and tells me he hasn't eaten in days, and could I spare some change. I said "no" because why should I be the sucker, right? But then I took a look at the guy, and he was skinny and ragged, and I believed him.

But, instead of giving him money, I opened my briefcase (People still used those) and pulled out my lunch. I told him if he really was hungry, he could have my sack lunch. He wanted it, so I retrieved the note my then-wife always put in the bag, and handed it over. I figured that was the end of it, but I was wrong.

When I came out after work, he was in his usual spot and saw me immediately. He said the food was delicious and thanked me again. It took 45 minutes to an hour to get home, and I just couldn't get over it. So, I told the wife about it. Then I asked her to start making two lunches, and she did. We didn't have much, but how much is a PB&J or tuna fish? Add in a snack cake and a piece of fruit, you would still be talking a buck back then. He was always grateful.

Then one day, I made a mistake. The wife would mark the bags, but I gave him the wrong one. I was perplexed that I didn't have my daily note until I saw there was no 'K' on the bag. I didn't think any more about it until I was leaving for the day, and the man stopped me. He'd do that now and again, but this time he handed me a piece of paper. I told it out later, read it, then handed it over. I thought she was going to cry, and maybe did.

On the front, she had written, "Have a great day! I love you!"

Scrawled on the back in pencil it read, "You have a great evening, ma'am. And I think I love you, too."

After that? He got two sandwiches, and extra goodies!

*Dog2*

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. ~ Swift
© Copyright 2020 Mastiff (UN: mastiff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mastiff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/979798-So-I-said-Id-tell-you-a-story