*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/982115-Organic-Kale
Rated: 13+ · Book · Family · #2058371
Musings on anything.
#982115 added April 26, 2020 at 4:05pm
Restrictions: None
Organic Kale
         My very kind neighbor just gave me a big box of organic kale from her garden. I trimmed it up, washed off the bugs and dirt, picked off the flower buds and cooked it until it was about 1/4 the size. I only used a pinch of salt. Unfortunately, it was beginning to get old, therefore the flowers, and some of the stems, even though small, remained very tough. It's still delicious. You just have to pull the pieces that look as stiff as uncooked spaghetti off your plate.

         I always worry that I missed a bug or two, but then again, they cook apart. That might be added protein.

         I'll fix some Southern spoon bread to go with it. I was shocked at the grocery store last week to discover the shelves of flour, all kinds, were bare. All the yellow cornmeal was gone, too, which is what I wanted. They had white cornmeal, so I got one. My spoon bread will be light colored, but will still be good.

         Thanks, neighbor, for sharing your garden with me.

© Copyright 2020 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/982115-Organic-Kale