*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/983868-Review-of-The-Burning-Girl-by-Mark-Billingham
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2049546
My first blog
#983868 added May 18, 2020 at 12:03pm
Restrictions: None
Review of The Burning Girl by Mark Billingham
Review of ‘The Burning Girl’ by Mark Billingham

This book started out as a challenge. I ordered the paperback version online a couple of years ago, and when it arrived, it was printed upside down and back-to-front. So, I had to literally turn it up the wrong way, then read from back to front. Because of that, I put off reading it until now. As it turned out, reading it was much easier than I anticipated. Plus, I thoroughly enjoyed the story.

This is the fourth in the DI Thorne series. I read the first three a few years ago. I really like the character of Tom Thorne. He’s a good person who has a slightly black soul.

The plot centres around gangland London and the twenty year old setting fire to a schoolgirl called Jessica Clarke. Carol Chamberlain, Thorne’s friend and ex cold case detective was the detective in charge of the case of the burning girl, and she successfully convicted the perpetrator of that crime. So why, now, when he is coming up for parole, has Carol started to get phonecalls from a man claiming he set the fire? And why does the anonymous caller know details only the killer could know?

We go on a ride through gangland London where three families, the Ryans, Kellys, and Zarifs, wage a deadly turf war where everyone wants control.

I like the ending. There is a scene with Tom, Carol, and the man who made the phone calls, near the end of the novel, where I don’t think I took a single breath in about five pages! Very intense.

Despite my glowing review, I didn’t enjoy this book as much as the first three. I was going to write, “It didn’t set me on fire,” then realised how terrible a pun it would have been. I think it’s partly that the first three books are outstanding. ‘Sleepyhead’ is pure genius. I did, however, totally enjoy this.


© Copyright 2020 Choconut ~ Dragon Tamer (UN: purplesunday at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Choconut ~ Dragon Tamer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/983868-Review-of-The-Burning-Girl-by-Mark-Billingham