*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984112-Music-Memory
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#984112 added May 22, 2020 at 9:50pm
Restrictions: None
Music Memory
PROMPT May 22nd

Music often has the ability to remind us of old memories. In your entry today, be inspired by a specific piece of music or a musical instrument. What feelings/emotions does the music or instrument stir in you? Share a specific memory your chosen song or instrument reminds you of.
         
         
         
         
Mary stops to wipe a tear and remember. The inspiring song There'll Always Be An England causes her chest to heave and her pulse to quicken. With the sweeping drums, horns, and piano she is transported to her childhood in London, England. She grins and dances on the streets with her siblings.
         Mary is not quite sure what has happened, but everyone, all of her neighbours and her Mom are hugging each other and crying. She recognizes tears of joy. A few times, she has been swooped up into someone's arms and twirled all about only to be plonked back on the ground to teeter on unsteady feet. The gaiety is contagious.
         The non-stop noise is deafening. Metal pots and pans clang. Whistles pierce the air. Vehicle horns blare. The unmistakable strains from a violin float on the warm spring breeze. And the roar of the milling crowd is a constant. Every few minutes, a new song starts up and the boisterous mob belts it out. Cheer after cheer rings out and echoes off the brick buildings.
         Mary doesn't understand this spontaneous street party, but she likes it. Adults playing and laughing is a welcome sight.
         A man approaches with a camera and Mary and her older brother pose for him with their arms draped across each other's shoulders. Mary does not recall the flash of this long ago moment. When she studies this photo now, she marvels at her wide smile and instantly hears the revelry of the crowd.
         Years later, she comprehends the excitement of her fellow London dwellers. They were celebrating VE Day, Victory in Europe. The Germans had surrendered ending "hostilities." Everyone rejoiced the ceasefire. Londoners had persevered and the nightly bombings were no more.
         "Red, white and blue, what does it mean to you?"
         "Home," Mary whispers.

© Copyright 2020 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984112-Music-Memory