*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984250-Sister-Slider
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #930577
Blog started in Jan 2005: 1st entries for Write in Every Genre. Then the REAL ME begins
#984250 added May 24, 2020 at 7:49pm
Restrictions: None
Sister Slider
When I read or listen to other people talk about the experience of sisterhood, I know that my sister and I are not alien; there are ways that our experience fits all the norms. But after an unexpectedly brusque response to a disagreement -- See. I cannot even call it a fight -- I do not believe we ever have had a fight. I do not believe my spouse of 32 years and I have ever had a fight... Might not be factually true, as I can remember some solitary periods of isolated anger in the aftermath of non-fights. That's the way my brain rewrites the interaction into memory. So, I guess it is possible my memories are not an accurate reality, maybe...I. So, I wouldn't make a good witness in a criminal case, sure. But that doesn't make my brain's function a bad thing -- I think my relationships are good. Realizing that from the other person's perspective, maybe the relationship is "less than." don't know.

"Most of all, I worry that she is happy" is a late comment contained in a sister relationship piece I read today in this other blog archive https://www.brainchildmag.com/category/slider-content/page/2/

It does not specifically mirror our experience, but its wisdom still resonates for me. I encourage you to read it.

I struggle today, wanting to post it to her Facebook timeline as a message that we have sisterhood. I always thought that was enough. I asked her to realize I am sorry for however the pushback of my words set her apart from me. That would not be a final forceful declaration against her person, ever. The course of action she made as a suggestion was all that I was rejecting, not her. And in hindsight, I do not even know what was triggering about the suggestion (It had something to do with two words, which I no longer can recall...my mind's safety protocol...great).

Instead, I know I have to process in this slower, less direct and like so many people are learning to navigate right now...isolated manner, that is against my wishes.

In hindsight her request was not even unreasonable, we just got in a roundabout. Even with a few texts and a long-hand letter response from her, this is far from resolved. It's deeper, but for now she tells me she cannot plumb the depths with me. Everything (maybe not everything) has been dredged up onto the shore, and I am asked to sit here on the beach while it rots in the sun. She's walked away, offering to possibly come close enough again to the pile (and me) once its content has dehydrated and shriveled. Then we have to catalog wondering, what was this?

I rewrite the reference quote from the other piece to admit:
"Most of all I assume that she is happy"

My sister's unexpected response, like a baseball slider pitch served knowing that it's this batter's weakness, forces me to reassess my readiness. My beliefs about life and love have been colored by recent changes to environment and action, by physical truths, by any of the changeable perceptions that affect a human. Also true for my sister, but of course, hers is a different kaleidoscope. Life and love are constants. Society and different cultures do not all teach this directly, and also, we each individually easily forget. But just as I can accept that the grief of death is also love, the relationship strain for survivors is also life.

Existing together is hard. Existing apart is hard. And, in life and love, we have to learn to do both -- but few think to tell this as some great lesson for fear of scaring children of all ages (?) -- my guess. Clearly, not prepared, that's all I am pointing out. I can factually recall that many I know have already lost someone, but that doesn't mean one confronts one's own mortality, until one does. Is this part of what has been inserted on the path for my sister and I? Not sure. She is 9 1/2 years younger than me, and my only sibling. The age gap itself has already always been a factor. Another circumstance not in our control (our parents divorce) made our interactions few, but from my account, not strained. However, this is an area where I can see my ideal recall of no previous fights makes so much more sense.

Similar experiences cannot span the gap, it seem to maintain it, how could it not, with the brain I have that remembers simply, unnuanced? We both have our own families with spouses, and we live in different locations. Am I meant to pull off the winning double-header with no one else on base?

As I wait this out, because I know it is no game, I look back on when and how we've teamed or not. When have I done little just out of inexperience and lack of practice? How, without having to struggle, have she and I functioned together just as family should, and it goes without saying?

Preparing myself for a new season, one that may include uncharted territory, but hopeful that the errors and fouls of words become just a set of stats that can near change what the spirit of our sisterhood can always be.

© Copyright 2020 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (UN: walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984250-Sister-Slider