*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984354-Celebrate
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#984354 added May 26, 2020 at 10:30am
Restrictions: None
Celebrate
Complete the following sentence: When I’m in the mood to celebrate, nothing can stop me from ___________.


signature dancing owl


CELEBRATE


Probably eating food I don't need to eat. Let's face it celebration usually includes food and drink. Most of the time it is a lot of food or beverages. Most of which, we could not only live without, but would be better off not eating or drinking.

Quote; “People of our time are losing the power of celebration. Instead of celebrating we seek to be amused or entertained. Celebration is an active state, an act of expressing reverence or appreciation. To be entertained is a passive state--it is to receive pleasure afforded by an amusing act or a spectacle.... Celebration is a confrontation, giving attention to the transcendent meaning of one's actions."
Source: The Wisdom of Heschel”
Abraham Joshua Heschel https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/celebration

Memorial Day this year felt almost nonexistent. around here it is the date to aim for when planting crops or gardens in the spring. The last week we have had some warmer weather. Before the last 7 or so days I wondered if it would get warm enough to trust to plant any gardens.

Before it was Memorial Day it was Decoration Day. My Dad always referred to it as Decoration Day.

Officially, it was started May 30,1868 at Arlington Cemetery where soldiers decorated the graves of fallen civil war comrades. As time progressed, into the 1900's it was considered a day to honor all men killed in service to the United States. It did not become Memorial Day officially until 1967. I found the following idea published in the NY Times 05/26/2018.

"David W. Blight, a historian at Yale, has a different account. He traces the holiday to a series of commemorations that freed black Americans held in the spring of 1865, after Union soldiers, including members of the 21st United States Colored Infantry, liberated the port city of Charleston, S.C.May 26, 2018

The Unofficial History of Memorial Day - The New York Times"

I thought David W. Blight's account, very fitting considering the subject of the Civil War and what it meant to the country at that time.

I like the thought that planting is a time of celebration linked to Memorial Day. A new beginning for harvest yet to come.

All the rain has made the grass grow. I couldn't help but remember, that when I was raising sheep and dairy goats we did not have as much lawn to mow because the animals were grazing everything down so perfectly. Spring lambs eat a lot of grass.

Merit Badge in Celebration
[Click For More Info]

Congratulations on completing your reading goals in  [Link To Item #monthlyreading]  for May 2018 *^*Bookopen*^*! 

~Minja
*FlowerR*

© Copyright 2020 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/984354-Celebrate