*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/985160-COVIDPROTEST-thoughts
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#985160 added June 7, 2020 at 11:15am
Restrictions: None
COVID/PROTEST thoughts
Well, it's been a while and I thought I'd pop in. So much has changed since I last blogged in January. Aside from everyday life, (I discovered Broadway in Hollywood and went to see Frozen the musical 3 times!! It was awesome!) COVID and Protests happened. I've been able to read, which I enjoy, and reading helps to de-stress me. I was able to write a story for the Writer's Digest Annual Contest called "We Forgot," and entered it in the mainstream/liteary category, but more on the "life" stuff later.

#1 COVID
When the "Safer at Home" order hit in mid March it was a shock to the system. What does Mary Shelley say? ""Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change." (Bard's Hall Prompt for the May Contest) Shutting down non essential businesses, social distancing, wearing face masks and santizing was quick, sudden, and shocking.

Our societal response ruined my son's senior year. He missed out on Prom, grad night, and graduation. Is he safe? Yes. I'm appreciative of that, but he can never get those experiences back and it breaks my heart.

As a 911 dispatcher, I still had a job to go to. I made sure I washed my hands, social distanced, wore my mask and had plenty of hand sanitizer available. I tried to keep myself healthy and my co-workers. It breaks my heart so many people were out of work. I donated to my church's food drive to help out. COVID is still a worry so I keep up my healthy habits. I'm glad that we've flatten the curve and it's hopeful to see society open up again. Yesterday I was able to dine in at a local restaurant for my birthday and I was very grateful to go out and #1 enjoy a meal and #2 support a local business.

To keep me sane, I did a lot of reading. I'm still reading which is good. I got The Great Influenza by John Barry to help educate myself about what it's like to live through a pandemic. I was able to get out and take a lot of walks at the local lake. We still have COVID worries, but I believe we'll get through it. COVID isn't pleasant and my heart breaks for those who have lost loved ones. To all - be safe.

#2 PROTESTS/LOOTING/RIOTING

Here in LA, the city has turned upside down with protests, looting and rioting. As I understand, the looting and rioting has tapered down, but there are protests. I fully support the right to protest and address the government with grievances. This is such a senstive topic, but #BlackLivesMatter. As a white woman, I will never understand depth of fear black people may have/feel when they step out of the house to go about their everyday lives. I had a very heartwarming discussion with a co-worker about fears, concerns, and worries. I grew up believing "all men (and women) are created equal" ALL and I've strived really hard to live by that. The color of one's skin has never mattered to me. We are equal. That's me on a personal level. On a societal level, we've failed and we need to do better. #BlackLivesMatter.

Here's a parable by Jesus:
He told them this parable. "Which of you men, if you had one hundred sheep, and lost one of them, wouldn't leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one that was lost, until he found it? When he has found it, he carries it on his shoulders, rejoicing. When he comes home, he calls together his friends, his family and his neighbors, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!' I tell you that even so there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents, than over ninety-nine righteous people who need no repentance."

— Luke 15:3-7


I'm hoping this is a message that connect with all about what the heart of the movement is about. Please, protest. Let's get the word out. Let's do better. Let's not loot or riot. You're harming the very community you want to educate and reform.

Thanks for letting me vent. This will probably be it from me. I try not to be political in my social media because in this day and age, sadly, it's divisive, and I really don't want to go there and sew those seeds. Divisiveness breeds negative energy and that's mentally draining. I want to be positive and hopeful.

I'll be back a bit later with some positivity that I've experienced over the past couple of months, like Frozen the Musical, The Last Dance, Some books I've read, my walking adventures, etc...

Thanks for letting me share. Be safe.
Steph



Steph's Signature for Game of Thrones
A pic of me taken 2 years ago.
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.



© Copyright 2020 StephBee - House Targaryen (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/985160-COVIDPROTEST-thoughts