*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
13
15
17
18
20
22
23
24
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/986694-Why-the-Hurry
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2223922
A tentative blog to test the temperature.
#986694 added June 28, 2020 at 9:21am
Restrictions: None
Why the Hurry?
Why the Hurry?

I’ll tell you why I write in such a hurry. It’s because, if I don’t finish the thing quickly, if I leave it half done, expecting to return to it another day, I’ll never say what I intended to say today. Most of the time I never get back to it anyway. But, when I do, I miss the point of what I was saying and wander away from my original intention.

Which isn’t to say that the piece isn’t as good as it might have been (although usually that’s true). It won’t say what I really wanted to say and that will forever gnaw at me. A perfect instance of this happened to me over the last few days.

About a week ago, I had an idea bursting in my head and began a poem to get rid of it. Halfway through, I ran into difficulty and decided to leave it for another day. I knew the danger of doing this but the thought was ebbing as I wrote and I had run out of the energy to complete the thing. Knowing that it might never be finished, I put it aside.

But it nagged at me. So much so that, a couple of days ago, I went back to it, determined to finish it. And I did. But, just as I expected, it wasn’t the poem I had intended. The original was going to be scathing and controversial; this one dodged the point and became unremarkable in consequence.

I was so underwhelmed by it that I decided against allowing it into the portfolio. But today I had another read of it and realised that, if it were in the portfolio, it could be a reminder to me not to leave things until later. Strike while the iron’s hot (which is an appropriate saying, considering the subject of the poem).

So the thing now resides as the latest addition to my portfolio. Not only is it a reminder to me but it also keeps the flow of productivity going at a time when inspiration has ceased. And that must be an admission that writing has been a hard slog of late. Mostly, I have kept going but at a reduced rate. And now I have a reminder not to give up on things just because they become difficult.



Word Count: 389

© Copyright 2020 Beholden (UN: beholden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beholden has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/986694-Why-the-Hurry