*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
13
15
17
18
20
22
23
24
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/987242-When-the-Block-Drops
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2223922
A tentative blog to test the temperature.
#987242 added July 4, 2020 at 8:51pm
Restrictions: None
When the Block Drops
When the Block Drops

I’ve often heard it said that, if inspiration doesn’t come, the writer should press on with determination to break through the dry spell. Yet, I know this for a fact, that, if my heart’s not in it, I produce substandard stuff. Is it really a case of one or the other, keep going regardless or sit and wait for that moment when the way ahead is clear?

Having tried both solutions, I think it’s best to continue to write, even if the product is hardly worth the trouble. Very often, it’s the act of writing that seems to reignite the fire of inspiration. This may be because, in writing, we remember the good times it has given us, those moments when the words poured from us and created magic on the page. Or, perhaps, it’s that, in writing down our thoughts, we notice side alleys that lead to other thoughts and that, sometimes, these spark into life, revealing a new approach and reason to write.

The best moments, however, come when we least expect them, when we’re minding our own business and not “being a writer” at all. That’s when the genius ideas, the flashes of insight, creep up behind and pounce suddenly, leading us into a world where it becomes so easy.

Or maybe it’s just that writing is a complicated process and we’ll seize upon any excuse to get away from it for a while. In which case, writer’s block, my ass
.


Word Count: 244

© Copyright 2020 Beholden (UN: beholden at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Beholden has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/987242-When-the-Block-Drops