*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
4
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/987360-Dont-say-what-you-really-think
by Sumojo
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #2186156
The simplicity of my day to day.
#987360 added July 6, 2020 at 10:11am
Restrictions: None
Don’t say what you really think.
PROMPT July 6th

Is there such a thing as “unbiased reporting?” (Consider not just journalism, but storytelling - is it possible to tell a story without bias?

There are certain subjects about which I would really like to believe I’m totally unbiased, and yet I know I’m not.. But every one of us has unconscious biases. They are ingrained in our very being. Right from the moment we’re born we start to pick up our parent’s ideas and thoughts about life. Politics, race, education and our place in society. Try as we might to dispel those ideals they are always there. They will come to the surface when you might least expect them. You may be writing a fictional character and inevitably your bias will show itself unconsciously.
In this politically charged time, we’ve all had to examine our beliefs. Many will deny their biases just to be seen to go along with the majority.
The media has a job to do and that is to inform the masses of the news without putting a slant on it. That is why we have the monopolies commission, it’s to stop one person owning too many media outlets and being able to push a certain ideology. People can be persuaded to think one way or the other. We do inevitably take one side or the other.



Frog in a Hanging Basket




© Copyright 2020 Sumojo (UN: sumojo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sumojo has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/987360-Dont-say-what-you-really-think