*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/987362-Journalism-and-Stories
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#987362 added July 6, 2020 at 11:25am
Restrictions: None
Journalism and Stories
Is there such a thing as “unbiased reporting?” (Consider not just journalism, but storytelling - is it possible to tell a story without bias?)


Manx Cat from Japan 227} *DragonflyV*


Quote: https://www.quora.com/Is-there-truly-any-such-thing-as-unbiased-news-reporting-i...

Unbiased Means Free from Favoritism


I'm still considering the possibilities about stories. We are running into the way our prompts are delivered. Sometimes there is more than one way to interpret a word.

In this case, stories is a word, that is used to denote fiction and nonfiction works. Journalism writings involve writing about a particular subject, usually nonfiction, and in a manner that will entice the reader to read the entire written piece.

Each piece may be called an article or a story. Newspaper editors often tell us how to cram lots of information into the first 2 or 3 sentences because many times, that is all the reader takes time to read, about each written subject.

Can newspapers and news corporations be unbiased if they use advertising money to present their news. If you think about these things much, you will realize using advertising money to present news gives corporations who spend that money some power over what is presented to the public.

I once wrote an article about "No Child Left Behind" a theme during President George Bush's presidency. In our journalism articles we were required to present at the least 3 quotes about the subject. I interviewed School administrators. This is when I especially learned how difficult it is to present more than one side of the story. Teaching and administrating who gets fed knowledge and who doesn't is one reason any country progresses or fails. It's a way to think when you read a story that is not presenting more than one side of any situation.

A lot of people, have attempted to make me choose political sides. I've tried to remain neutral in regards to my opinions, because if I write an article that deals with politics I will try to present more than one side.

For instance. The theme of this presidency is "Make America Great Again." What does that even mean? It's insulting to the country to believe, in it's present state, it isn't as great as it once was. When was it greater than now? Why was it greater before than now? Are we requited to move backwards to make it greater? Do I have to give up my dishwasher, vacuum cleaner, clothes dryer, or environmental concerns, instead of finding a way to make more and better safe electricity at a price that people can afford? Is this really more about constant corruption in all parts of the nation than it is about whether the country is great or not?

Take into consideration how the population of the country has increased over the years. How did that make the country better or worse or just different? Are we doing enough to integrate different people into one nation under God? What happened to the Melting Pot? Have you looked, Canada and Mexico and other American Countries have some of the same problems as the USA.

Because I'm not a fan of Trump, and wasn't a fan of his TV program either; I started out biased about what I saw happening during the campaign. He ran a campaign that simply put, made all the other candidates have to deal with his accusations.

This is exactly a thing the public voted against in previous elections. I believe,
the public does not want accusations; but wants facts that can be proven and are real. That is what fact checking inside of Journalism is all about. Articles should be about specific problems, present laws, and new solutions being posed, about those problems.

Nevertheless, I saw a news report a few month ago, when, the press was hounding President Trump about something as he was on his way to board a plane with Vice-President Pence. It was about the phone call and the impeachment. Although, Trump was refusing to acknowledge the press at this particular moment Vice-President Pence had enough and in exasperation turned around and answered one reporter with a reasoning that made sense of the whole mess. So, I watched and I never actually heard this answer broadcasted anywhere else. It made me wonder if the words Fake News had more bearing on the course of this presidency than the people were being told.

A professor told me once that there is a group of people who don't believe the citizens of this country are educated enough or have enough power to run this country. What do you think? Does the population have enough sensibility to run the country in a fair manner? How is what the Trump administration doing, aiding or dragging the country backward seem to you, which is it? The use of psychology to stress and manipulate public opinion is despicable.

As for unbiased reporting in journalism or stories go; I like to listen to NPR or PBS. I read that they are required to be as unbiased as they can be by law. I like the panels that discuss all sides of any subject. On the panels during the presentations of news each person gets to present his or her side of a story for a certain amount of time. They also extend this type of reporting to their stories of other countries problems.

This is an opinion story. I relied on my knowledge and minor experience with class room learning, also reading, and watching news stories for my comments. The best advice about news I know is read as many sides of a story as you can to find the real heart of reality.





Merit Badge in Point of View
[Click For More Info]

Happy Birthday! Belatedly. I like your point of view *^*Bigsmile*^* ~Adrienne







© Copyright 2020 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/987362-Journalism-and-Stories