*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/987707-Cursive
Rated: 18+ · Book · News · #1439092
On topics and today's gnus. Definitely opinionated. Set to 18+ for a reason.
#987707 added July 10, 2020 at 11:16pm
Restrictions: None
Cursive


My handwriting is distinctive and when I take my time and focus ... quite beautiful. I should've been more disciplined and studied calligraphy.

But...

I was a strange child. I almost failed kindergarten and was a mediocre student in 1st and 2nd grade. By 3rd grade I had memorized the multiplication table and worked on division. My parents encouraged this. I ignored the teachers. There was nothing they could teach me.

I was shy, short, skinny, weak, goofy-looking and couldn't see. Any future I was going to have depended on academics not popularity or sports. I also had poor hand-eye coordination and I was far-sighted. When I put my glasses down I couldn't see them. My printing was awful.

I was told that as a left-handed boy I'd never have good handwriting. When I was 10 I spent all summer proving them wrong. One letter at a time.

My mother encouraged me as I practiced a standard American form similar to the Palmer method. I loved longhand, the circles, the flourishes. I copied my mother's style of handwriting and even taught my sister. She never quite caught on ... but then ... perhaps she was right-handed like my father who wrote in barely legible scrawls.

I loved paper, but lefthanders smudge both ink and pencil. This was not acceptable to the nitpickers of that time. But I was stubborn. I 'knew' that I was smarter than my teachers and did things my way. And I knew my mother would back me up. She'd been forced as a child to write with her right hand. No teacher dared defy her!

So, I held my pencil wrong. I put the paper in the wrong position. I could write nicely and frankly ... their right-handed opinions didn't count. I made my handwriting as beautiful as I could. I practiced for hours.

By 6th grade I was getting an A in Penmanship, an A in Arithmetics. One quarter I had straight A's.

I proved them wrong! But by then I was an awkward and unlovable 12 year-old. But that's another story.

Have you ever been in a situation where someone doubted you and you proved them wrong? Tell us about it.

I saw this article and felt a bit vindicated. We lefthanders are not being properly studied in a righthanded world. https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y3zbyj/brain-science-is-ignoring-left-handed-...

GROUP
Blogging Circle of Friends   (E)
A group for WDC bloggers.
#1901868 by Lyn's a sly fox

© Copyright 2020 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/987707-Cursive