*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
26
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/987744-Stormy-Window-Watching
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#987744 added July 10, 2020 at 12:37pm
Restrictions: None
Stormy Window Watching
Go somewhere outside or where you can observe the happenings of the world beyond the walls of your home (looking out a window is fine). Spend at least five minutes watching and listening. What do you see, hear, and smell? Where does your mind wander when you sit quietly?

signature dancing owl *Lightning3*


Storms Out My Windows


Quote:“This is the problem with danger, isn't it? You can even be warned and ignore the warning. Danger can seem far away until the sky grows dark, and a bolt of fury heads straight toward you.” Deb Caletti, A Heart in a Body in the World https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/thunderstorm

I'm usually prepared for weather upsets. This prompt follows last nights thunderstorm. We were happily watching a Monk story on TV when we heard a blast of sound from the West. looking out I saw lots of clouds forming over the western horizon. Thunder. I was actually hoping it would go away or around which it sometimes does. When I looked East a storm was heading our way from that direction. We get our worst storms from the East. Not a normal wind currant here.

It came pounding in heavy with heat lightning and oppressive booms of thunder. When the electricity started flashing, we shut off the TV and went around pulling electrical plugs. There it sat over our heads flashing white hot flashes and silence. Our living room window is 8 feet long. Sooo, lots of viewing here.

A stupid squirrel was chewing on something on the porch then, when the rain started I could here it scolding and screeching. It thinks it owns our house and sits on the roof and screeches, when it is disturbed.

After silence, buckets and sheets of rain. I was thinking that it was going to give the deer, who usually show up under the apple tree to eat down fall;, relief from the hordes of bugs I've seen following them during this heat wave.

Thursday's Monk is on during the afternoons until 8 o'clock p.m. We started watching at 7 after the news programs. At 9 I gave up and moved to my bedroom. The storm must have felt us move, because it turned and flew east.

Watching out my bedroom window I could see it in the distance. White Hot flashes of light with red centers. That lasted for a hour or so. There is a small town over East of us and I wondered if it was getting a lot of the storm at that point. By this time there wasn't any electricity in the house. But, I have a couple strings of fairy lights.

Then, I could see it was being driven back our way by blustery winds so, I got up shut off the fairy lights. A night light turned on. So I could see the electricity was back on. I turned on the fans to pull in some of that cool wind blowing our way. Pushed the cat off the window sill, who was soaking up cool air and shut the drapes. The lightning settled in. I could see it flashing all around outside the edges of the drapes. It stayed for awhile.

One of the cats was really frightened, so I put her in her kennel with her plush toy. Another older cat let out a screech on the balcony and came tearing through the cat door. She spent the next couple hours sleeping on the bed. I fell asleep listening to the indescribable silence and watching flashes of blinding white light coming from around the edges of the drapes.

We seem to be having more heavy thunderstorms every year. They seem to be a part of blinding white lightning. On the 4th of July there were all kinds of fireworks on all sides of us. The storms are always bad after a build up of humidity and in a heat wave. This one was probably the worst I've experienced recently so the science part of me wonders if it is an answer to the booms and bangs of fireworks. Or just breaking up the heat wave in an awesome way. I will have to look up some atmospheric thoughts on a weather site.

Humidity is back. More storms expected tonight. Just watching out my window. More windfalls down for the deer.

THE END



















apondia#1781748






© Copyright 2020 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/987744-Stormy-Window-Watching