*Magnify*
    March     ►
SMTWTFS
     
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989615-Bradenton-Florida
by Sum1
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#989615 added July 31, 2020 at 8:43pm
Restrictions: None
Bradenton, Florida
Locale: Bradenton, Fl


Week Of: July 20, 2020


         Well, I managed to deliver my fifth class at a remote location this week.  I was afraid this class would become a virtual one like so many I've been scheduled for have.  But things worked out, and I drove to Bradenton, Florida for this delivery.  I'm glad I did because I managed to do a couple of things.

         One of my best friends at Motorola retired in January, I hadn't seen him since sometime last year.  He moved to Mount Pleasant, Tennessee a couple of years ago, and while on medical leave last year, he decided it was time to hang things up. Driving to Bradenton would give me the chance to take a small detour and visit him and his wife.  We're the same age, and I know (as does he) that we may not see each other again in this life.  No, neither of us plan on dying any time soon, but I learned long ago that tomorrow is not guaranteed.  I left a day early, stayed at a decent hotel on my dime that night.  Okay, I didn't spend a penny, other than dinner.  I used hotel points.  We met on Saturday morning, and spent about an hour catching up and kidding around like we always did.

         The drive Saturday was not all that pleasant.  I drove down I-65 to Montgomery, Alabama before angling Southeast through the state.  The drive from Birmingham to Montgomery is supposed to take a bit more than an hour.  It felt like this one took eight!  In actuality, it was close to three hours due to construction, and an accident that had us almost completely stopped for over an hour.  As a result, where I'd hoped to get to Gainesville Saturday night, I only made it to Tallahassee. It was fine though, the next day drive was short.  Except for the accidents, again.

         While in Bradenton, I managed to visit my father-in-law, a man I haven't seen in about 10 years.  I saw him four of the nights I was there, and we conspired to surprised my sister-in-law with a pizza night.  She had no idea I was in town.  When she saw me, you could have knocked her over with a feather.  I also avoided crowds, and didn't dine out.  The nights that I did have dinner there, I got food to go, and ate in the comfort of my room. 

         So why did I drive?  Just read the news about flying right now, and you can understand.  Did it tire me out?  Definitely.  Was it worth it?  Yes, definitely.  The drive home was uneventful, I even drove through Atlanta, spending Friday night just south of that city.  The whole trip, I was amazed at the number of accidents I saw on the roads.  I didn't count them, but I'd guess there were 9-10 on both drives.


In Closing

         I will spend the weekend and next week at home.  There's still a lot going on at work, I am scheduled to teach from home all of August, before going to Schaumburg to deliver a tailored class to the State Department.  Right now, I am booked every week between now and Christmas.  I do have the Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks free right now, but that could change.  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!

© Copyright 2020 Sum1 (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989615-Bradenton-Florida