*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989672-Antarctica-Day-1
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#989672 added August 1, 2020 at 1:41pm
Restrictions: None
Antarctica Day 1
30 day Activities :Kayaking with the whales and watching penguins and sampling local cuisine.

owl for signature use


Kayaking with Kate


Kayaking for me today will be a one day trip because I like the paddling around and the atmosphere of smooth water boating, quiet of the cold, and companionship of other kayakers as we explore the area. I want a lot of pictures of the wildlife and that will be difficult from a kayak. Don't need to drop the camera overboard or have to many shaky pictures.

Before we left I stocked up my dry pack with lots of chocolate and the bread that was recommended. I hope its true that the high fat and caloric counts of the food will burn off because of the cold. Just think a real reason to eat a lot of sugar and chocolate instead of trying not to eat it.

I'm really nervous about kayaks and whales in the same waters. Although whales are known for trying to protect boaters from predators like the leopard seals.

Antarctica was discovered by Whalers. If we are going to spend the night there, sleeping out under the stars. We will probably dig a trench or sleeping hole, spread our mat and polar sleeping bag, Then snuggle down into the bag and watch the awesome polar sky full of stars overhead.

After it was discovered the land was claimed by numerous countries. Among the claimants Chili is actually the closest one to Antarctica. this surprised me because I thought it was closest to Australia. Ten Chilean children have actually been born on the cold continent.

At one time there was, of course, a lot of hostility about who would own this frozen land and ice mass.

This prompted the USA to issue this statement of policy in 1924.

It is the opinion of this Department that the discovery of lands unknown to civilization, even when coupled with a formal taking of possession, does not support a valid claim of sovereignty, unless the discovery is followed by an actual settlement of the discovered country.

The area south of 60 degrees South is designated by the Antarctic Treaty is a scientific preserve, and military activity is banned. The treaty came into force in 1961 and is currently signed by 50 countries. The treaty encourages scientific cooperation and does not recognize, dispute nor establish sovereign claims.

50 different survey stations have been established by 12 different countries for research of the continent. Antarctica is a land mass that holds approximately 80 percent of the fresh water reserves of the entire earth. One of the concerns presently is that those reserves will melt into the salt water seas.

I found a lot of You tube information about recent discoveries of new melted holes in the ice pack, under ice caves and tunnels that are actually warm enough to possibly have living organic creatures which have not been yet discovered. However there are organic DNA that have been discovered there but are presently not identified with any DNA on the earth. So, science is working on the mysteries of Antarctica.

A couple called Kara and Nate have posted travel videos on You tube of their adventures on cruise ships, that travel to Antarctica. You can learn a lot about how to dress for the cold, see penguins, seals, and killer whales. One of their videos is about an actual cruise they took complete with a polar plunge. Another is a sleep over on Antarctica.

There have been 1600 meteorites collected on Antarctica since 1976. They are easily spotted because the makeup of the meteorite causes the ice to melt off it leaving it visible to the collector. One of these pieces of rock from outer space has been accurately identified as being from Mars. Another mystery not yet solved. How did we get a piece of mars on planet earth.

The biggest bird, with the capability of flying, in residence. is the albatross.

A special thing that is present in the atmosphere of this frozen land is the silence. It’s a deep beautiful quiet extending over the land. Broken only by the sea creatures when they chatter, calling back and forth as they rest from swimming in the sea.

There is a special current that flows around Antarctica that keeps the cold into the land mass. Another interesting scientific feature.

As the ice melts and science discovers more about the continent it will be newsworthy.

I’m off to dress warmly for a day of exploring the continent. As a group we can dig a trench and sleep out in polar bags tonight. Let’s take some photos of the stars tonight. I wonder if you can feed the wildlife? As long as it isn’t me they are eating.

Bye Till Later.*Hand*




© Copyright 2020 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989672-Antarctica-Day-1