*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989753-Antarctica-Adventure---Day-2-of-My-World-Blogging-Tour
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1966420
Theses are my thoughts and ramblings as I forge my way through this thing they call life.
#989753 added August 2, 2020 at 10:26pm
Restrictions: None
Antarctica Adventure - Day 2 of My World Blogging Tour
For the 30-Day Blogging Challenge and Blogging Circle Of Friends to use.


WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus

30 Day Blogging Challenge
Zodiac Cruising - 30 day prompt
Go where your cruise ship can’t — hop aboard a small, sturdy inflatable boat and buzz between the icebergs and around the mountains. This is your chance to get an up-close look at some of the more cautious wildlife in the ocean, on land, and in the skies. It’s common for leopard seals, penguins, and other curious animals to pop up alongside to say hello. You’ll never feel so small in your life as you gaze up at the massive glaciers and icebergs from sea level. To call it a humbling experience would be an understatement.
Good to know: This activity is a big favorite of photographers. Zodiac cruising allows for more intimate viewing as well as an entirely different perspective.
Antarctica is the site of some of the world’s most cutting-edge research. There are dozens of scientific research centers here, and one of the most interesting things to do in Antarctica is to take a tour of one of these fascinating facilities. The Vernadsky Research Base on Galindez Island opens its doors to visitors all while studying everything from meteorology, ecology, biology, glaciology, seismology and physics. It was at this research station that the hole in the ozone layer was first discovered.
Another cool and unexpected aspect of this research center is the Vernadsky Station Lounge, one of the southernmost bars in the world. Try the vodka, which has been distilled on site. Bottoms up! We're going to help examine green snow and check out the satellite studies of the visual evidence of climate change.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-bar-at-vernadsky-research-base-antarctic...
Good to know: The post office at the Vernadsky Station is one of the few places in all of Antarctica from where you can send a mail. Mailing a postcard will cost you around USD 2 while a letter (including stamps) is about USD 6*.
We're still sleeping in our sleeping bags.


I'm not sure if my body is screaming at me from cold stiffness or from the Kayak workout yesterday, but I need to keep moving to stretch and get the blood flowing. Although my 'snow grave' was quite comfortable it took me a long time to settle in to sleep. I couldn't get over the stars.... or how loud some of our group snores!

Today we're touring around in a Zodiac - one of those inflatable boats that zip between the icebergs and mountains. You get a very impressive view. One that leaves me feeling humbled around all this natural expanse of wonder.

Visiting the research station at Vernadsky was also interesting. A lot of various kinds of research goes on - studying everything from meteorology, ecology, biology, glaciology, seismology and physics.
I made sure to send off several postcards and a letter. I'm curious how long it will take them to make their way home. I may have to buy some stamps and restart my stamp collection. Having a stamp from each of my travels would be a great way to collect something.

https://www.stampworld.com/en/stamps/Australian-Antarctic/Postage%20stamps/2020-...

After a day of exploring and taking the most amazing photographs, I am up for trying some of that bathtub Vodka.


BCOF Insignia


Blogging Circle of Friends

Day 2816
Prompt: Let this quote inspire your entry:
“I had a dream when I was 22 that someday i would go to the region of ice and snow and go on and on till I came to one of the poles of the earth”― Ernest Shackleton
Have you ever dreamed about seeing one of the poles? Where's your ideal dream place? This entry needs to be minimum of 100 words if you're participating in the challenge..


I have a feeling I would be dreaming of wood fires, sparks flashing up into the starry night sky. But to dream of coming to a place of snow and ice that would go on and on,.. that would be nightmarish if there was no way back to the heat of the tropics.

I have never shared the dream of going to either pole, though it would be an interesting experience. I believe the Northern Pole is more ice block, than land. And is the pole marked? Is it really a red and white marker? I highly doubt it. A little research found this from Wikipedia:

"The Geographic South Pole is marked by a stake in the ice alongside a small sign; these are repositioned each year in a ceremony on New Year's Day to compensate for the movement of the ice. The sign records the respective dates that Roald Amundsen and Robert F. Scott reached the Pole, followed by a short quotation from each man, and gives the elevation as "9,301 FT.". A new marker stake is designed and fabricated each year by staff at the site.

Ceremonial South Pole
The Ceremonial South Pole is an area set aside for photo opportunities at the South Pole Station. It is located some meters from the Geographic South Pole, and consists of a metallic sphere on a short barber pole, surrounded by the flags of the original Antarctic Treaty signatory states."

So there is a barber pole... ceremonially, of course.

I believe I read somewhere that Shackleton's wife even had him buried in Antarctica because he had never felt comfortable in England. Antarctica was in his blood. Now that is a serious dream. Mine would land me in Paris... though I hear the weather there is hot and heavy at this time of year.

Until tomorrow.



© Copyright 2020 đź’™ Carly (UN: carly1967 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
đź’™ Carly has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989753-Antarctica-Adventure---Day-2-of-My-World-Blogging-Tour