*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989901-Trains-With-Character
Rated: E · Book · Experience · #2050107
A Journal to impart knowledge and facts
#989901 added August 4, 2020 at 4:07pm
Restrictions: None
Trains With Character
BCoF:Day 2818: August 4, 2020

Day 4 we catch a Ghan train in Adelaide. Have you ever ridden a train? What was it like? If you haven't ridden a train what do you think it would be like?


signature dancing owl *flower*


Trains


K and I were celebrating one year and we rode the Oil Creek Railroad. It is a refurbished train that was running when Oil was discovered in Titusville, Pennsylvania. The train ride is accompanied by lots of history about the area. It goes through a park that has walking trails and bicycle trails and the train will stop in one place to pick up bike riders with their bikes to transport them back to the trail head. You can stop and tour through a museum then pick up the train when it comes back through. There is a lot of scenery. I took pictures with my camera. I believe there are pictures of some fisherman standing in French Creek casting his pole. The train also follows French Creek for a long time. There is a lot of wildlife to see. White tail deer are plentiful in the region. The ride is about 3 hours long.

As a tourist attraction the train sticks to its real heritage. There is a conductor dressed in period clothing complete with a big pocket watch and chain hanging from a pocket in his vest. There is a open air car at the end of the train with out seats where people with cameras can stand to take pictures. At one point there is a curve where both the Engine and end car are both visible at the same time because of the deepness of the curve.

The seats on the cars can be opened to face each other if you are traveling in a group. Travelers are cautioned to wear warm clothing and bring blankets since the cars are open air and do not have heat. You can bring picnic baskets of food and drink but there is a car where sandwiches, coffee, and soft drinks can be obtained.

In the fall they have a mystery train ride. It includes actors who play out a murder scene and passengers try to help solve the murder. I always thought that would be a fun one to go on. I 'm not sure but, I think there is a Christmas ride but maybe that one isn't run depending on the weather because the train is not available in the winter months.

Another feature is the train car motel that is on the tracks for tourists who want to spend the night. They are real train cars outfitted for over night stays near the gift shop.

Of course there is also a great gift shop where I bought a crochet piece of lacy fluff that is mounted on a circular metal ring. I found a large green butterfly and mounted it in the center. It's very pretty hanging near my desk.

Today's virtual train ride was nice. Lots to see. Happy Train riding. Woo woo chuga chuga. *Traincar1v*

© Copyright 2020 Apondia (UN: judithd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Apondia has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/989901-Trains-With-Character