*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/990549
Rated: 13+ · Book · Travel · #2032403
ON THE WRITE PATH: travel journal for Around-the-World in 2015, 16, 18.
#990549 added August 11, 2020 at 8:29pm
Restrictions: None
Ha Long Bay, Viet Nam: "Lost to time" [182]
With temps between 31/26 and rain every day I may feel like I'm in a steam bath. I would avoid the noon-day sun and probably lose weight. March is the best month to visit the entire country with the North good until May. (February for flowers, South and Cambodia.) I do not do water. No fishing. No kayaking (although if I ever learn how to swim I'd be tempted). Never swimming. Sounds like Hell. I like eating squid and learning about squid-fishing might be nice. I can learn how to cook from locals where I live or perhaps in a hostel.

A good source for where to go when: https://asianwaytravel.com/best-time-to-visit-vietnam/

This may be Paradise... for others. I'd have to remember to pack my water-resistant Fuji camera. It's one of the most scenic places on Earth.

And that's what I'd probably do ... chat, take photos, eat local food, as always...

Bai Chay and Cat Ba have good hostels under $10/day. (Cat Ba Rustic Homestay has an excellent host and Ha Long Bay Fancy Hostel looks enticing as well. Both are under $5/night.)

The myths must come from the lovely limestone fingers jutting out of the bay. One legend talks about 'defense'. I can understand. In Scandinavia an island archipelago protects many a major city, like Stockholm and Karlskrona (home of the Swedish Navy).

Lost to time

Hands rise from waters,
fingers jut from the bay,
while floating lanterns
flit like fireflies
hoping that foolish squid
think that night is day.
And days remain calm
or tranquil in the breeze.

So easy to dream of paradise,
easier to just go and stay.
In the gentle sway of hammocks,
worries slip away.
Like the lapping water,
time slips away.

© Kåre Enga [177.182] (11.avgust.2020)


"Blogging Circle of Friends : Day 2825: Halong Bay, Vietnam. Prompt: Pick out one of the five legends/myths in this article: The Legend of Halong Bay: Discover Myths Behind The Names https://www.visithalongbay.com/insight-guides/the-legend-of-halong-bay.html and write a story or poem based on the legend/myth.

"30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS: Halong Bay, Vietnam: We're doing a 2 day/2night cruise Day 11 and Day 12 will be in Halong Bay. https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g293924-d20211050-Halong_bay...
Kayaking, swimming on the beach, learning how to make Vietnamese spring rolls and after dinner squid fishing. Let your imagination get carried away, discuss what fun things you've experienced.


© Copyright 2020 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/990549